TRP CX-9 Mini V-Brakes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

The brakes were great this weekend at the races. Unfortunately my legs weren't. But anyways, back to the brakes.

I need to run one of the jag barrel adjusters for the brake as if you run the brakes on the tight side (like me), you can't open the brake to swap wheels without loosening the cable.

I ended up having to swap bikes about half way through the first UCI race on saturday because of a crash and switched to a spare with FSA canti's front and back and difference was VERY noticeable as I almost crashed (again) in the first tight hairpin. I would still say 2.5-3x the stopping power of a decent set of cantis.

I just pulled the replaceable holders off the avid shorty 6's and pulled the stock pads and put some road shimano pads in there (7800). I need the replaceable holders as I run carbon wheels sometimes.

I will try to get pics sometime but I don't have internet at my house so don't hold your breath!

by Weenie

LittleStereo

by LittleStereo

Anyone who knows were i can by TRP 8.4 brakes in Europe (online) ? :noidea:
Little Stereo :-)

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

You can purchase my lightly used set :)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So I picked up some of the Tektro 926Al mini v brakes. I don't think the shop has set them up very well as they don't return much on the right side on the front and the left side on the rear. Braking power is pretty good but probably could be firmer. I like them so far though.

JBV

by JBV

dereksmalls wrote:So I picked up some of the Tektro 926Al mini v brakes. I don't think the shop has set them up very well as they don't return much on the right side on the front and the left side on the rear. Braking power is pretty good but probably could be firmer. I like them so far though.

There are little spring tension adjustment screws on each side of the brake. Just tighten the side that isn't returning a bit, like 1/2 turn at a time. Takes like 10 seconds to get them dialed.

As for power, the stock pads suck. I've had the best results (assuming aluminum rims) with Kool-Stop Salmons, although I think swissstop green would also be good (and more expensive).

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Kool Stops. Yeah the tension screws are just as they were, untouched so I'll give them a tweak tonight