TRP CX-9 Mini V-Brakes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Big thanks to the boys at TRP for sending over a pair to test out on my #2.

First impressions:
- Impressive finish and machining. Super sexy execution.
- Fantastic lever feel (7900)
- Excellent pad adjustment + less toe, if none, is required.

Been tooling around the neighborhood on them. Definitely less hand pressure is required. Off the bat, quite grabby. Going to warm up on course this weekend with these... more to come.

Attachments
trp_mini_v_1.jpg
trp_mini_v_2.jpg
trp_mini_v_3.jpg
trp_mini_v_4.jpg
trp_mini_v_5.jpg

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I think I'm gonna get these for next year. But none of my regular distributors have them in stock right now so it's looking like a next season thing. Besides I have only a handful of races left.

A setup tip from someone I know who has them: put in inline adjusters so its easier to adjust/open up to remove noodle (especially if you like to ride your brakes tight)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I ride them loose. I prefer to have a more closed grip with bouncing around on the course.

They disconnect easy... but there is no barrel adjuster in the system. However small cable adjustments is easy to tune them.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Any news or comment on the shorter version TRP has coming out this year?

I caught this in a CX mag image gallery, and had heard they're shortening the arms a bit for this year. Now we've got a name, CX-8.4, and a look. Good.

Felt with TRP CX8_4 brakes.jpg

mcarr810

by mcarr810

Very happy with my CX-9's. Great stopping and red is some fabulous bling on the Mootour

sodapop

by sodapop

JN2Wheels wrote:Any news or comment on the shorter version TRP has coming out this year?

I caught this in a CX mag image gallery, and had heard they're shortening the arms a bit for this year. Now we've got a name, CX-8.4, and a look. Good.

Felt with TRP CX8_4 brakes.jpg

I have the CX9 (on my... CX9) and like them a lot. I think the 8,4 might be even better with more rim clearance.
I'm putting the 85mm Tektro RX-5 on the wife's G&T. Will see...

Edit: by the way, if the pic of the "CX8,4" is accurate, it looks like a completely different forging than the CX9.

JBV

by JBV

nitropowered wrote:A setup tip from someone I know who has them: put in inline adjusters so its easier to adjust/open up to remove noodle (especially if you like to ride your brakes tight)

Jagwire makes a cheap aftermarket noodle with integrated barrel adjuster that I use on my Tektro RX-5's. I just picked up a pair of the CX-9's, so I'll see if they're any better than the cheap Tektro linear pulls I've been racing on.

Tallboy

by Tallboy

Would you rate these for a cross bike being used on the road? Im 90 kgs and ride short steep hills a lot, often with traffic around, so it's essential I can stop if I need to!

These look like a great solution
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

JBV

by JBV

Generally speaking, linear pull brakes will provide better stopping power than any bicycle brake short of discs. Many people use them on tandems (sometimes the "mini-V" variety) for that reason.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Could someone explain to me what is the difference between these V-Brakes and, say, KCNC's V-Brakes (which are lighter) ?
Aside from being "mini" - or is that a significant factor?

For use with road-style brake levers, either DA7900, Campagnolo Record, or SRAM S900's.

Thanks.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Do these work well with road levers? I know when I have run V brakes with road levers they've always been terrible.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I have some cheaper Tektro mini-Vs on a new training bike ('cross frame used on the road). They are a great solution to scary braking cantis- there's bags of power.

Mini refers to arm length. The issue with road levers is cable pull (i.e. not enough of it). You have to run them tight to the rim limiting mud clearance, and a barrel adjuster is therefore very useful as above.

Mine are intended for BMX use (80 mm arms). Longer arms=more power but more cable to pull. I wouldn't want to go much longer so the 84mm TRP ones sound great. Too much shorter and they wouldn't clear my full mudguards.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks, I was thinking about BMX-style V-brakes as well, I'm glad you brought that up.

Do you have any recommendations? Which set are the lightest out there? I know the BMX crowd isn't exactly weight-focused, so not seeing many weight claims on components isn't surprising.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I haven't conducted an exhaustive search but the only mini-Vs I've seen that are high-end, weight-conscious products are the TRP ones. James Huang did a good review of them on CNews/Bikeradar...google it. I gather it is a bit of a market niche that they created. My BMX ones (Tektro 926AL) are heavy, but cheap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com