quill stem and handlebars for classic 1996 steel bianchi

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dvincere

by dvincere

I have a 1996 Bianchi Campy 8 speed lugged steel CX bike. The handlebars on it are too wide and the stem is too long. It currently has a black ITM 130 mm stem and stupidly wide bars. I need to dial it back to about 90 cm stem (depends on the curve of the new bars though) and 42 cm wide bars.
I need to replace them with something reasonably priced and will look the part. Finally, if they could be of a respectable weight for what I need, that would be great too.
My knowledge on the older stuff is weak.

An old guy I worked with suggested Nitto. What does everyone here suggest for companies / models? Buy new stuff or are there good old stock I can find on ebay or elsewhere?

Thanks.

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

One must remember that by '96 most steel (and all Alu) Bianchis were TIG welded. I like the nice chrome plated Bianchi branded ITM steel stem. Profile also made a nice light TIGed steel quill stem (a bit flexy it was, but as light as some ahead stems, @200g).

Either ITM or Profile of that era also produced a nice light road bar.

Either one should look good and be durable. If it was me, Japanese made frame would get the Profile bar/stem, Italian, the ITM combo. I've owned both. (actually still have them all but neither are in use), sorry, they're 110mm...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Planet-X had(has?) a bunch of NOS stems. Maybe see if they have anything that suits?

dvincere

by dvincere

Thanks for the tips.

And this may be a stupid question but what is a NOS stem?

jooo

by jooo

New Old Stock

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Try and get a ITM Eclipse stem, these look great on 'modern' vintage bikes IMHO. Looks even better with a matching black ITM handlebar. 3TTT did a similar model for PRO called the chrome. They sold their own model under the name Pinocchio.

Good luck!

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com