Cronus CX : what's the verdict?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

composite

by composite

I'm thinking of going carbon for my CX bike, and now a new offering has risen...the Trek/Gary Fisher Cronus CX.

It seems like it will be a light, stiff package, but are there any decisive Pro's or Con's according to you guys?

All feedback is apreciated!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ga ... /cronuscx/
"Gee Brain, what are we going to do tonight? The same thing we do every night Pinky, try to carbonize the world!!!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NextRiot

by NextRiot

This bike looks rad, it seems to have a pretty good spec package.

My only gripe is going to be availability! It's not going to be available for purchase till next January!! By then all the cross bike will be disk braked or something crazy!

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

There's no verdict because no one has one. Looks nice. Geometry looks good. Treks really stepped up the performance in the last couple years so I'm interested too. I talked to some of the trek guys the other day and availability sounded like later this year...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

NextRiot

by NextRiot

I was just going off what the Trek dealer website was saying. I hope it comes out sooner! I'm really interested in riding it.

composite

by composite

I heard it would be available somewhere "around" late november/early december.....pretty far into our Cross season. But as long as it rocks that's OK!

About the "verdict" : i know the bike is not there yet, but i was reffering ot it geometry-wise etc.
Thnx so far!
"Gee Brain, what are we going to do tonight? The same thing we do every night Pinky, try to carbonize the world!!!"

limba

by limba

composite wrote:I'm thinking of going carbon for my CX bike.
All feedback is appreciated!

The new carbon Cannondales look pretty awesome. Cannondale has a good history with cross racing and know what they're doing with carbon. Put them together and you'll probably have a killer cross bike.

NextRiot

by NextRiot

Where are these pictures of the carbon cannondales?

limba

by limba

I think all of that info will be released today (Tues). I'm sure someone will find and post it this week.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

The geo for the Fishers looks good. Should be predictable but menouverable. I look forward to seeing one in person.

I've been looking forward to the new dale since Tim mentioned it this spring. Sounds nice too.

Blue posted some info on their wesite about the new NorCross line recently too. Those look to be even better than last year also.

Basically we'll be spoilt for choices for new cross bikes this fall.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

limba

by limba

Here's some more info and better pictures of the Cronos.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/08/ ... ion_134074

NextRiot

by NextRiot

Guys from my shop rode them down at Trek World last week and all they could say was STIFF. Stiff seat area, stiff fork, stiff headtube, stiff frame.

It will make an awesome, but jittery competition bike. On the road they found it too stiff in all ways with very little compliancy.

limba

by limba

and it has a sloping top tube.

NextRiot

by NextRiot

Anyone ever find the weight for this?

MarvinK

by MarvinK

I know this is a bit late, but full bike is 17lbs for 54cm... just weighed one at our local Trek shop. Think the 2012 will have disc brakes--or is that a 2013 thing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5shot

by 5shot

From the geometry chart on the Trek website, I am guessing this bike is in the family of high bottom bracket cross bikes. The chart does not actually show BB drop but the relatively high standover hight suggests a high BB. I prefer low bottom bracket cross bike as I find them to handle better. It's really just a personal preference thing, of course.