What could cross do to my wheels?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

iride

by iride

i am seriously considering a cross bike build(for next season due to injury unfortunately), i have most of the parts i for see needing, i am thinking ill run my deepish section ritcheys most of the time but i ride DA tubeless on the road, what might happen to my wheels if i use them for some cross races?
ALU is my friend

mattr

by mattr

the rim may wear more rapidly, you may ding the rim (and affect tubeless function). Or you may crash and break them...... all being well, and with some care, they should do no more than get really muddy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marko

by marko

Depends on course conditions. If dry and not too sandy, not much will happen. If you have lots of rocks or tree roots you could ding the rim, or run more air. In general there will be added rim wear, but we tend to have dry races that require less braking and I have good luck with longevity. You would need to refrain from a wet sandy race if concerned about nice wheels. The tubless Hutcinson tires are quite wide and offer alot of protection and feel softer. My friends felt like riding a couch even at 40psi and I doubt he could have harmed the rim with that much air in.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Depending on the brake/pads, increased rim wear. I use my road wheels on my cross bike and the only caveat has been the brake surface; though I also train/commute on them during cross season so that brake usage is also a factor.

Having done this with my inexpensive wheels, I now am also using my better wheels without qualms.

Smoother is faster, so there shouldn't be any need to punish your rims!
Serious delirium.