Ultra torque for cross?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mic2377

by mic2377

Hi All,
I am in the process of screwing together my new cross bike (an NOS Cannondale XR800) and am trying to decide on what crankset to use.

I really like the Chorus UT on my road bike, and would like to run one on my cross bike. However, I heard the weather resistance of the BB bearings is rubbish. As I fitted the UT cranks myself and examined the system, I can see how this is true. However, I am quite handy and would not mind replacing bearings, either.

Also, I would like to run a 48/39 or 46/39. I am not sure how to get a new big ring for the crankset, is it a unique BCD? The website TA has isn't very intelligible.

If not, any other suggestions? Bike will have a '08 Chorus group on it....
2007 Nashbar Cross - Campy 10/Discs
2000 Cannondale XR-800 - Coming soon....
2006 Klein Q-Pro
2006 Cannondale F3 Caffeine

"usque ad finem"

by Weenie

snips

by snips

One problem I'm finding with Campag UT is the low Q factor, as my heels keep clipping the chainstays as they flare out more than on my road bike.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

TA Vento rings are what I use on my campy standard double cranks for CX. My wife and I both have one bike setup with 46/39 rings and another with 42T single rings.

The UT cranks have been fine for us so far, but I installed ceramic bearings on them to begin with. These hare lasted all last season and seem like they are still fine now.

Cyclocrossworld.com is a decent source for TA rings in the US.

mic2377

by mic2377

I don't mind the low Q factor, actually I prefer it.

Those TA rings from cyclocrossworld.com are just the ticket. They are even in stock, and cheap!

If I wear the original bearings out I will replace with ceramic. The reason I originally asked this question was the supposed poor weathertightness of the bearings. I am not going to worry about it now.
2007 Nashbar Cross - Campy 10/Discs
2000 Cannondale XR-800 - Coming soon....
2006 Klein Q-Pro
2006 Cannondale F3 Caffeine

"usque ad finem"