UCI Rules and Disc Brakes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

There have been alot of rumors floating about regarding the illegality of running Disc Brakes for CX racing.

Does anybody actually know the rule? I looked on the UCI site and it is pathetic how useless it really is. I was unable to find any published equipment regulations.

It was my understanding that Discs were illegal only for Elite Racers. Is this the case? Do i even care if I'm racing in the States?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

The rule as enforced seems to be that if you can score UCI points in the race = no discs.

so in the UK national trophies and national champs are the only races you can't use them.

Don't know which series in the US carry UCI regs/points but it should say on your NGBs calendar

pioneer

by pioneer

The UCI rules for equipment are all together in the "general organization of cycling as a sport" category. The specific rule is:

1.3.025 Freewheels, multiple gears and brakes are not permitted for use on the track during competition or
training.
Disc brakes are forbidden in cyclo-cross training and competition.

When they say 'training' they mean warmup for a specific event, at the venue you are racing at, not your during the week training.

The important thing to note is that this ONLY applies if you are racing in a race category being held under UCI rules. If you are racing here in the USA that means ONLY in Elite/U23 Men's and Women's races that are held under a UCI permit. If you are racing in a non Elite category (masters, b's etc) at one of those events (for example a Crank Brothers race), or at a regular USAC event disc brakes are legal under USA Cycling rules. So if you aren't using your UCI license to register for the race don't worry about your brakes.

The only exception to this will be at the US national championships in the following categories: Elite Men, Elite Women, u23 Men, and Junior Men 17-18. Because those are selection races for worlds the UCI rules trump USAC rules.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

Thanks for that. I was pretty sure that I was on the right track.

I'm a not racing for UCI points so I guess in all situations I'll be OK.