Stan's NoTubes for Clincher Cross Tires?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

marko

by marko

My friend who is very good at cross has used the Shimano bulldog setup all year. He's had one burping problem during a crash. So they work well, but that's still a concern.

mickey
in the industry

by mickey

We've been messing around with standard ztr rims with both the Stans tires and Michielins with really good results. Good enough that we got some special cross-specific rims made...

Just need to go lace a pair up tonight, but I'm pretty excited about it.

I've been able to ride ztr rimmed wheels down to about 20psi, and I'm interested to see what sort of pressures my less-smooth than me team riders will be able to hack.
I'm that skinny guy who runs Spooky Bikes
spookybikes.tumblr.com
facebook.com/spookybikes
twitter.com/spookybikes

by Weenie

JK

by JK

:shock:

DrBones

by DrBones

I rode a couple races on Mavic Ks with Hutch Bulldog, Cx strip and sealant with no problems. Just recently put the Bulldog on some old Spinergy's for the "old skool cool". I used the Cx strip with one extra layer of rim tape - the depth of the rim looked greater than the Ks. I weight about 175 lbs. I rode them at between 30 and 35 psi for a couple of warm-up laps with no problems. I didn't race 'em. That course was too dry and fast. Now looking to get some piranhas for a fast set-up, but Stan's recommends running at 45 psi or less for Cx tubeless. I really checked out their message board to make sure all would be okay. No problems yet, but I had a friend say "screw the Cx strip - they're Mavic K's. Don't need it". He's DNF'd each race he's tried. Use the strip!

DrBones

JustusA

by JustusA

520 Dan wrote:why the eye roll? Just because I dont know a single person who has had luck with them (these same people are using road tubeless successfully) doesnt mean I am dogging them, just that i still believe it is a work in progress.

It was because of none out of 10 had succeeded! That just seems odd that so many are having problems when I hear so many success stories and personally find it so reliable and simple to setup (at least with Mavic Ks and Hutch Bulldog).
I have actually had more problems with Stan's on my mountainbike.

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

mickey wrote:We've been messing around with standard ztr rims with both the Stans tires and Michielins with really good results. Good enough that we got some special cross-specific rims made...

Just need to go lace a pair up tonight, but I'm pretty excited about it.

I've been able to ride ztr rimmed wheels down to about 20psi, and I'm interested to see what sort of pressures my less-smooth than me team riders will be able to hack.

Hmmm. When are NoTubes going to drop the 355 29er RACE officially?

I'm looking to get a new set of light race wheels for next year, and was thinking Stan's prebuilt wheels are the way to go. Particularly with the new Race rim.

mickey
in the industry

by mickey

Official availability of the ztr race 355 is of yet to be undetermined as far as I've been told. They've been very well received in testing thus far though, so I would assume they will be making it to production. I know plenty of big strong 29er racers have been beating on them. For 'cross I think they will hold up very well...
I'm that skinny guy who runs Spooky Bikes
spookybikes.tumblr.com
facebook.com/spookybikes
twitter.com/spookybikes

iubike

by iubike

I kind of last minute setup my Ksyriums with Mud 2's for the USGP this past weekend. I tested them pretty hard and was good to go. The tires gripped great and were fast, last lap I came out of a sand trap and blew the tire off!

SHOULD HAVE USED THE STRIPS! I went without and this is NOT suggested. Other than that I will give it ago when the strips get here again.