Stan's NoTubes for Clincher Cross Tires?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jill

by Jill

What's the current thinking about using Stan's for clincher cross tires -- as a way to ride with lower tire pressure?

(I found a previous post on the subject, but it is from 2005, so wanted to get your current opinion on this. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... light=stan)

Thanks in advance.

fishmel

by fishmel

Love em, I raced my last 5 races on Stans w/ Michelin Mud IIs with psi between 28-32. No burps, and great traction. Todays race had a serious whooptadoo that my front wheel just plowed into hard everytime I reached the bottom. I kept thinking the seal was going blow, but it never did.

by Weenie

Sarns

by Sarns

I just laced up the ZTR 255 29er rims and they work great. I'm running Maxxis Raze tires @ 30 psi with no burping. Bottomed out on the rim a couple of times during a training race but I lost no air. They are great! Plus the wider MTB rim provides better breaking for the canties.

Hunt-man

by Hunt-man

So has anyone tried the Stans conversion kit for 700c cyclocross tires? I got some Hutchinson Bulldog tubeless ready tires so I'm thinking about a kit.

FTM

by FTM

Hunt-man wrote:So has anyone tried the Stans conversion kit for 700c cyclocross tires? I got some Hutchinson Bulldog tubeless ready tires so I'm thinking about a kit.
Yup, running the Hutch Piranhas with Stan's tape and sealant on Kinlin rims for my training/pit wheels with no issues. Usually run 30-35psi up front and 35-40psi in the rear (I'm 150lbs).

I also have a beater wheelset that I use for off season technical singletrack/MTB stuff that consists of Open Pros, Stan's Cross rim strips and sealant with a beefy 44c Mutanoraptor up front and 40c Speedmax in back - also with no issues.

marko

by marko

I've read and heard all good about going to tubeless, and the Hutchinson Tires are really designed well. I was just about ready as my 07 Eurus have no spoke holes to begin with and that would eliminate the tape, but after looking at the weight savings I just can't justify it. My nucleon tubular and Eurus clincher rims weigh the same. The Challenge tires weigh about 430g and the Hutchinson tires weigh 405g, add some sealant and it gets closer. But if I switched to Tufl flexus I could beat both by over 200g for both wheels, and Tufo has some new tires with more aggresive tread coming out. I know I hate Tufo's on the road, but for cross they seem better as it's been a while since I've run Challenge.

FTM

by FTM

In cross, the ability to run lower pressure without risking a pinch flat trumps weight saving for me.

marko

by marko

My challenge set up is Tubular, so I can run the low pressure, my comment was that it saves me nothing to go tubeless.

FTM

by FTM

marko wrote:My challenge set up is Tubular, so I can run the low pressure, my comment was that it saves me nothing to go tubeless.
Ah, I see. My race wheels are also Challenge tubular and I would not give them up for a tubeless setup. I do like the tubeless setup for training and as pit wheels but not for my primary racing set.

ergott

by ergott

I have two sets of 29er wheels and want to build a third. I run 135mm in the back so I use XTR hubs on one set and Chris King hubs on the other. The wheels are light (Sapim Laser spokes, alloy nips) and handle so well. The bonus is I have 29er wheels for a mt. bike if I get one;-)

I've ridden with 15psi on my cross bike and I weigh 158lbs. The rims were just glancing over the roots and they hooked up like mad! No burping at all.

I have Muds on one set of wheels and Jets on the other.

Just yesterday, I got a thorn in the front tire. A few drops of sealant squirted out until it sealed up. There was no noticeable pressure loss and I never skipped a beat on the ride.

That means more to me than the added weight. The wheels roll so well and the Michelin tires are real supple without tubes in them.

-Eric

Auk

by Auk

15psi!?!? Crap, that's low.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

maybe this is off topic, but I know about 10 people who have attempted to use shimano tubeless wheels and the hutchison tubeless tire set up for cross and they all burp, roll,flat, generally do not work. A lot of these guys are shop mechanics who set this stuff up for a living so I dont think it is 100% user error. However, a hutch rolling might have helped me get the win this last weekend as it caused the pile up behind me :wink:

ergott

by ergott

Auk wrote:15psi!?!? Crap, that's low.

I've had pine needles and leaves get caught between the tire and the rim on hard cornering. Still, no burp. They really got it right with the shape of those rims. You can hear the snap of the tire when you set the bead. It's like a car tire.

-Eric

JustusA

by JustusA

520 Dan wrote:maybe this is off topic, but I know about 10 people who have attempted to use shimano tubeless wheels and the hutchison tubeless tire set up for cross and they all burp, roll,flat, generally do not work. A lot of these guys are shop mechanics who set this stuff up for a living so I dont think it is 100% user error. However, a hutch rolling might have helped me get the win this last weekend as it caused the pile up behind me :wink:

That is strange considering that I have had no problems using Hutchinson Bulldog tubeless on Ksyrium wheels with Stan's rim strip and liquid at 1.8 bar. :roll:
I did get a 1 cm cut in the tire on my third race (of course 20 meter after the depot) but it sealed enough after using one CO2 so I could finish the lap and change the wheel. It actually sealed so well that I could use the same tire in a race the week after.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

why the eye roll? Just because I dont know a single person who has had luck with them (these same people are using road tubeless successfully) doesnt mean I am dogging them, just that i still believe it is a work in progress.

by Weenie