Which Cross Pedals Do You Recommend?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hammerz

by hammerz

Mt Biker gonna hit cross this season. Like the the TIME for mt bike, should I go with same for cross?...they are so damn heavy. Use Speedplay on my Roadie, how are the speedplay frogs? Tried CRANK BROS candies once and opinion is still out!

I have heard quite a bit of discussion about dis-mounting & re-mountng with certain pedals.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
-hz

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mxfox

by mxfox

eggbeaters
Ride hard, you can rest when you die!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mxfox997

Cyco

by Cyco

Stick with Time, just get the Atac XS, rather than the original, unkillable, but porky Atacs
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Griswald4x4

by Griswald4x4

DONT get frogs! I know very few people who have had good experiences with them. They clear mud poorly, and the cleats wear out quickly. I would recommends either the Candies or the Eggbeaters.

Both have excellent mud clearance, are lightweight, and have good float for cross racing. The candies just have a little more platform than the eggbeaters.
Superflies!

Thrice

by Thrice

Stick with your Time pedals or go for Shimano. The Eggbeaters are too small and they distroy your shoes. The Candies are slightly better. I don't think pedals are the right place to try to save a few grams. Go for something reliable with consistant release.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Hate Crank Bros. pedals. The springs open up under hard pedaling and the float is incredibly vague feeling.

If you like lateral float, stick with a lighter Time pedal. If not, I love the solid, adjustable, new mud shedding Shimano pedals!

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

the Repeater wrote:Hate Crank Bros. pedals. The springs open up under hard pedaling and the float is incredibly vague feeling.

!

i never had that problem.
not in cyclocross not on mtb .
this is a cleatproblem.

SLight

by SLight

I have shimano's (XTR)on both my mtb and cyclocross bike and love them. zero problems

teamcinzano

by teamcinzano

I used Time ATACS - older style - for two years, but found I had a hard enough time getting out of them that I ended up clicking out of the left pedal before starting my dismount. I also had problems, despite their reputation, with mud clogging and re-entry. Switched to Eggbeaters, and it has solved both problems with lighter pedals.

I know that some of the Crank Bros pedals have had bearing problems, but I've been using eggbeater SL's on my cross and road bikes for quite a while now with no problems yet. The clear mud better than the Times and are much easier to get out of approaching the barriers, such that I keep my left foot engaged till I step off.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

The reason for this is that the Eggbeaters are a much lower spring tension than the ATAC's, neither pedal having adjustable tension.

The Time XS pedals have adjustable tension, and a totally different design, so this may be a consideration.

I didn't find the old Aliums all that great, either. The ATAC carbon or newer pedals are much better.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Eggbeaters here on all of our cross and MTBs. They clear mud great and are cheap and easy to rebuild.

JK

by JK

I had some eggbeaters, 3 pair to be precise:

* The bearings had to be replaced in no time.
* I had one cage falling off the spindle.
* They ate my shoes.

Once I had the new XTR pedals, I found out how much better they are. At a slight weight penalty, you get a pedal that clears mud allmost as good as eggbeaters and needs much less maintenance. Also, the XTR's have a much more definitie "klick" once you have klicked in. With eggbeaters, sometimes you do not know wether you are in or still floating... With the Shimano's, you know.

Eggbeaters; unless you want to be extremely lightweight, don't believe the hype :wink:.

BORCHETTO
Shop Owner

by BORCHETTO

I've used different Timepedals for 10 years now, never had any problems with them. Currently I'm running XS models from 2 years back.

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

+1 for the Times, great pedals :D
The bike isn't the problem

Wolfshohl

by Wolfshohl

elmar schrauth wrote:
the Repeater wrote:Hate Crank Bros. pedals. The springs open up under hard pedaling and the float is incredibly vague feeling.

!

i never had that problem.
not in cyclocross not on mtb .
this is a cleatproblem.

Elmar is right.
Riding mate of mine was complaining of the same accidental locking out - he first used his old spd cleats, then the egg cleats reversed...

Times work ok, but a harder to click when it is icy or snowy, frozen conditions. Mud is ok, but not as good as eggs.
old style SPDs do not work in mud, ice, snow.
Frogs are great for touring, but don't work for dirt.

Having said that, different things work for different people.
I ride throughout the winter on studded tires on ice and snow - I can always get in and out of eggs.
Last edited by Wolfshohl on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com