Another tire discussion

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Guslo

by Guslo

i've raced in the same team of pontoni and, when it's was very muddy we all use the green michelin...but it was the only race when we don't use tubs...but I still prefer the tubs on the muddy race much more than clincher...if you don't have the ability of pontoni the tubs are far better in control...you lose some traction but gain stability...bertoni, borini and perotti (three other crosser of selle italia guerciotti) use the green clincher of michelin...but they were more lights than me (60/65 kg vs. 73kg)...I think this is a point to consider...if you are light you can keep the pressure of your clincher quite low....if your weight is over the 70kg mark you can't go too low...so tubs are better...IMHO...

I used to race with this tub
http://www.challengetech.it/grifonero.php
that was still label "clement"...(1999)

http://www.vittoria.com/index3.asp?pagi ... &lingua=it

ciao!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

OJ wrote:So...putting latex milk from adults toy shop with stans "rimtape"? Tell me more...

There is a thread about it. works for some, some blow tires off.

coylifut

by coylifut

as a follow-up, I talked to a shop owner today who's built-up 6 sets of wheels using the NoTubes.com 355 ZTR 29er rim, Michelin Mud2 tires and of course the sealant. He says using the ZTR rim with it's special "bead socket" is the key. He's tried other rims in an attempt to retrofit customer's current wheels with no success, but the set-up using the ZTR rim is working flawlessly. Those six sets of wheels have been raced about 4-5 races and lots of training hours without a blow-off or flat. On at least one of them, he instructed the rider to try to make it fail during training and it's held up. That same rider rear ended another rider in a race and broke a spoke. When they took off the tire for repair, they noticed 2 places where the sealant had balled up and fixed punctures. They also pulled a thorn out of the tire. He said the down side to the system is that because it's a beaded rim, you have a higher probability to dent or damage the rim compared to a tubular. With that said, they haven't dented one on the 6 sets they have out thus far.

I've spent my equipment budget for the year, but I think I'll have a set built next summer and test them prior to the 2007 CX season. One other thing that intrigues me about the system is that the rims are about as wide as a Reflex which makes swapping wheels easier.

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

Hi all,
has anyone tried our Grifo 34 in the mud?

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

i tried last years grifos
they are much heavier!
and they came from italy
the new link says ,you are in suisse now!?

MOD.GRIFOSS 32 is on my scale 440 gramms
your homepage says 340 gramms ???????????

elmar

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

This was probably one of our first production with the new tread profile that has the extra knobs. They weight now is below 400gr.

Oswald

by Oswald

challenge wrote:This was probably one of our first production with the new tread profile that has the extra knobs. They weight now is below 400gr.

I love those extra knobs on the Challenge, the cornering is a lot better. I have one that I'm using as a front and love it. When the Gommitalia on my other set wears out, I'm definately replacing it with a Challenge because of the extra knobs.

The Vittoria also have more knobs on the side then normal Grifos. I haven't tried the Vittoria though.