CX Clinchers - what are my options?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

IanB

by IanB

Just putting the finishing touches to my CX bike (pics to follow), but would like your opinions on the performance of various clincher tyres - I don't really know whats good/bad/heavy/light/durable/puncture resistant etc. I guess I'm looking for good all rounder that isn't out of its depth in mud but not slow on firm ground either. Thanks!

Ian

p.s I did do a seach, but didn't find what I was looking for...

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

I've got Michelin Cyclo Cross Sprint. They are pretty alround I think. I rode on them last winter and they were good for me.
The bike isn't the problem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikedude

by bikedude

i got a set of the Vittoria Cross XG Pro last year and i really like them. and the Michy mud are the gold standerd you can never go wrong with them. the XG's are a bit lighter and roll a bit faster and i would ride them unless the mud was very deep.
Dan...

IanB

by IanB

Thanks chaps. I've had my eye on the vittoria's for a little while, so encouraged by a positive report. Other contenders were bontrager CX (pleased with the performance of their MTB tyre) and hutchinsons.

Exar

by Exar

I have the Hutchinson (Pro Series) which was adequate, especially trough thinner, wetter mud. The Schwalbe Racing Ralph should be a pretty fast tire if it shares its riding characteristics with its 26" counterpart.
Chains to the right!

Skyleth

by Skyleth

if you're never going to be in mud/snow Tufos work great... I'm thinking of using either the Vittorias or Michelin Mud 2 for this upcoming season! 2 months and counting!
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

ndbike

by ndbike

Why not try some of the Tufo clincher-tubulars? Also, I have friends that use the Panaracer CrossBlaster and really like it. Plus, it only weighs 280g.

IanB

by IanB

Hmm, clincher-tubulars... I didn't know such a thing existed :oops:

They look good though ;)

The panaracers @ 280g - is this weight at the expense of pucture resistance?

ndbike

by ndbike

Yeah, the Tufo clincher-tubulars are a great option for someone who wants tubulars but doesn't want to mess with gluing. You can use the Tufo sealant in them too which is an added bonus.

Personally, I use tubulars so I don't have first hand experience with the Panaracers, but I have friends who use them to race and I don't recall any puncture problems. They're nice tires and the tread blocks have good "sharp" edges on them so they handle well, or so I'm told.

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

I've got the Tufo tubular clinchers too. Didn't ride much with them, but I prefered my normal clincher tyres Michelin Cyclo Cross Sprint. The Tufo's were smaller then my michelins. And I was a bit scared that the Tufo's would come of the rim when I ride with soft tyres.
The bike isn't the problem

Skyleth

by Skyleth

Stoeperd wrote:I've got the Tufo tubular clinchers too. Didn't ride much with them, but I prefered my normal clincher tyres Michelin Cyclo Cross Sprint. The Tufo's were smaller then my michelins. And I was a bit scared that the Tufo's would come of the rim when I ride with soft tyres.

Tufo's tread pattern is really only good on dry stuff, if you get any mud or snow they're pretty much useless and slide everywhere. Dry conditions they're file, anything wet I'd go w/ Michelin Mud 2s.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

zank

by zank

Come on, Skyleth. When do we ever get mud in New England? :roll:

seriousconsult

by seriousconsult

The panaracers are light and work ok.

The tread doesn't seem to have the best traction on grass though. Maybe it was the tire pressure.

BBAGDAN

by BBAGDAN

i love my panaracers: the lightest cx clincher, just the right amount of knobbage for racing without slowing you down, and just the right width.

and actually, once i figured out the ideal pressure, those old-school vittorias with the minimal dot knobs are fantastic for most conditions, even at 28c width. i love training on them too, because if you can handle a minimally knobbed tire, then putting on a knobbier tire when racing makes you feel like a superhero.

steevo

by steevo

tubular clinchers are awesome if you want to crash out and roll them!!!
i saw 2 instances of this last year

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com