adjusting brake pad toe in on spooky carbon brakes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

subject says it all...

love the brakes, but mine squeal like a pig because of no toe adjustment.

how do you guys adjust it?

tia,

g

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Basically what I was told was "ride your bike until they become toed in". I don't know if this is correct or not, but that is one way. Another, more expensive way may be to get the Christian Heule custom brake pads from one of our euro friends. These apparently allow for toe in on spooky brakes. Do a search, there has been quite some discussion on these pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeremyb

by jeremyb

mount the brakes on the bike, then find your Vice Grips in the tool box, then grab the front part of the brake pad with the Grips and toe it in, might need to "toe" out the rear a little too, repeat on other side.

Works well, easy, cheap.

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

jeremyb wrote:mount the brakes on the bike, then find your Vice Grips in the tool box, then grab the front part of the brake pad with the Grips and toe it in, might need to "toe" out the rear a little too, repeat on other side.

Works well, easy, cheap.

good idea unless the brake boss gives out, might be ok for the criss-cross, but not the merckx/spooky setup...

:D

g

Boonen

by Boonen

What Jeremy described is how many people adjust their spooky brakes, they just bend the brake a bit untill everything is how they want it to be. But with the carbon version there isn't much to bend. You definetly don't want to bend your brake bosses so the only thing you could bend on the brake itself is the rod on the brakepad, but I wouldn't advise you to do this while the pad is in the brake! If you want to go this way you shouls take the pads out and easily adjust them in a vice or something.
A good friend of mine had these brakes on for a few years and did what you originally suggested, just ride untill they stop squeeling, but he got tired of them and swapped them for the alloy version in stead.
If you can get them the Heule adjustable brakepads Dan suggested sound like a good idea to me.

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

Boonen wrote:Heule adjustable brakepads

any word on these? countact? source in the US?

g

Tristan

by Tristan

You can always modify the pad. Scribe a mark in the rear of the pad of where you think the pad should sit, then use a dremel, grinder or craft knife to add toe to the pad itself. If you choose to use a powertool, be aware that brakepads are much softer than steel and it won't take much to grind them away!

Quicker way of wearing your pads out, yes, but cheeper than over-twisting and destroying a lovely Spooky brake ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com