What style of handlebars for gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

slowK

by slowK

jemima wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm
Comes down to what you like the feel of.

Another slight-flare fan here: Satori X-Race Aero. The carbon bar is a good price.
Those Satori bars look good (especially tha shorter reach/shallower drop). Can I ask where you bought them? Can't find much online (and what I can find is only in a 420mm width, whereas I'd want 380 or 400).

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

slowK wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:45 am
jemima wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm
Comes down to what you like the feel of.

Another slight-flare fan here: Satori X-Race Aero. The carbon bar is a good price.
Those Satori bars look good (especially tha shorter reach/shallower drop). Can I ask where you bought them? Can't find much online (and what I can find is only in a 420mm width, whereas I'd want 380 or 400).

Thanks!
The 420mm is 442mm centre-to-centre at the drops.
Purchased the 42cm through CyclingDeal (who get them from Taiwan).

Some time ago I had a look around where you could find the other sizes, but no hits. Contacting Satori may help.
Curve Grovel ti.

saibot

by saibot

Miller wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm
I am liking the look of the Easton EC70 AX but what really works for mixed terrain and is it really different from road?
I got the EC70 AX after doing a similar search. It's definitely different from traditional non-flared road bar. I went with the 40cm size and find it to be just perfect for riding on the hoods "road style". The angle of the flare is not too extreme so it doesn't really affect the breaking, shifting. Took me about 10min to get used to and now I think I actually prefer the slight angle the levers have.

The drops flare out to 46.8 and compare to my old 42cm non-flared bars it really makes a difference going down gravel descents and lighter single track, some much more control and fun.

Did a short video about it comparing it visually to my old non-flared bar for anyone interested.

Miller

by Miller

Thanks for the input. I had already found your vid on youtube, it was useful, thanks.

slowK

by slowK

The 420mm is 442mm centre-to-centre at the drops.
Purchased the 42cm through CyclingDeal (who get them from Taiwan).

Some time ago I had a look around where you could find the other sizes, but no hits. Contacting Satori may help.
[/quote]

Yep - cyclingdeal was where I saw the 420mm ones. Will ry contacting Satori if I decide to buy. Thank you.

Miller

by Miller

I've gone for the Easton EA70 AX. Will be a while before I'm using them, bike remains to be built.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sala Cowbell 2 is a great gravel bar. I prefer this over Ritchey EvoMax

EDIT: Salsa Cowbell Carbon
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Tue May 22, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

3T has a new carbon SuperGhiaia design, which keeps the shifters fairly vertical, yet still provides flare:

https://store.3tcycling.com/en/products ... h-550.html

Oddly, only sizes 40 and 44 currently offered, as measured at the upper part of the drops (so the ends are more).

dim

by dim

most importantly, is that you should get a handlebar that fits you proper ....

https://www.artscyclery.com/learningcen ... width.html

if the bars are too wide, you will get sore arms after 30km.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

LVGH

by LVGH

I've been using regular compact style road handlebars on my cyclocross bike adding 2cm for extra leverage in the drops. When building up my Ritchey Swiss Cross canti (topic here) I used some Deda parts that I already had, like the Zero 100 bars. Because the seatpost kept on creaking and sliding down, when I came across a good deal on a Superlogic seatpost in my LBS I started upgrading some parts to Ritchey stuff. I was also curious to try out flared bars so I bought the Ritchey WCS Evomax in 42cm, giving me the same width on the tops that I'm used to on my roadbike, but extra width in the drops similar to my old 44cm bars for any technical sections.

The claimed weight of the Ritchey handlebar is 270g in 42cm but I was willing to accept this 1g weight penalty over the wider Deda Zero 100 bars. :wink:
The handlebar looks nice, I like the classic shape and long drops and the flare seems subtle (I'm not a fan of extreme flare), however the bars weigh a whopping 293g. :( This is even more than the claimed weight for the Comp version (292g)! I'm hesitating whether I should return the bars and look elsewhere.

robertshepherd

by robertshepherd

Can someone who owns the 3T SuperGhiaia please measure the width of the round 31.8 section in the middle of the bar that the stem clamps to? Seems like the only measurement they don't have on the 3T site. I'm deciding if there is enough width to mount my hard mount for a front bag as it won't clamp well on a non-round section of the bar.

warthog101

by warthog101

I have some of these in 40 cm width;
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/gra ... -handlebar
They measure 45 cm in the drops.
Work well for me. Had wider bars originally, didn't like them.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

warthog101 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:18 am
I've got these as well. Wanted something with mild flare (12 deg), flat top, Di2 ready, affordable, and relatively light. These ticked off every box.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

warthog101 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:18 am
I use exactly the same handlebars and really happy with them, IMO there's nothing better out there for £40.
The gravel round here is singletrack with plenty of tree roots, I wouldn't trust myself with carbon bars on this kind of terrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I use the same bars that are on my road bikes (haero 145). I tried flared bars - not only did I hate them, they made my wrists hurt from the position my hands were in.
Speedplay is the devil!