Challenge vulcanised tires, tubeless?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hey all,

Since a few weeks I have a new disc brake road bike that can handle some big tires. I was thinking of mounting some Challenge strada bianca 33mm vulcanised (not open tubular) clinchers on my rims. The 33mm will make it easier for me to drop some more pressure, because of that the bike will be able to ride great over gravel, but will also handle the cobbles of northern France pretty well.
Who has tried to set up some of these tires as tubeless? and what were the results?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

I did. Baby Limus Race. It works :) .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Great to hear that you had some good results. Are there any other members that used this with succes?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Mtek

by Mtek

I had the 30mm for a very short time, maybe 2 weeks. Setting up was easy for me, and I’m a beginner with tubeless. Those tires went on 4.5 AR enve wheels with just my hands, no levers. I use 3 oz orange seal, no problems. Measured wide, so depends on your rims but with mine they were 33 width inflated. Only reason I change is I had tan walls and Challenge is very bold. Using Spec Roubaix 30/32 now in all black. Sry no long term use experience, or 33 size. I hope you get good results.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Get proper tubeless tyres. non tubeless tyres possibly on non tubeless rims on the road is a no - no to me. Road pressure tend to be higher and depending on the the tyre and rim blowoffs are a risk as the bead stretches.

On MTB's it is generally o.k as you use 20-25 psi. Things change at 60 psi.

Also if using a non tubeless rim then the bead cannot lock into place meaning once deflated for what ever reason re seating may be difficult to impossible. If that happens at the side of the road your in trouble.

Tubeless tyres and rims exist for a reason. A very good reason. Tubeless is not a technology where any tyre will do. For it to work right it has to be right.

Plenty of 30+mm gravel/road tyres. Schwlabe, Pancracer, IRC, compass and then there are all the tubeless CX tyres some of which are just narrow gravel tyres or is it gravel tyres are wider CX hard packed tyres.

stormur

by stormur

Very true.

However on 33mm+ your pressue won't be 60. It will be below 40psi. Than even "non tubeless" works fine. With some exceptions. There's a list in the net what works what's not ( ghetto conversions ) .

For the road and road pressures I totally agree .
Mark Twain

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Challenge states that their tires are not to be mounted tubeless.
I wouldn't just be satisfied because someone didn't have an accident.

Is it worth the risk?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

stormur

by stormur

From all cx tires I've been riding one ( literally : 1 ) was described as "tubeless" :mrgreen: Never had any issue. Tiny leaking when I went with pressure to low ( F 1.2bar R 1.5, increasing to 1.3 & 1.6 stopped leaking, 1.5 & 1.8 is very ok , naturally depends on what course you ride )

Gazillion of people in mtb and cx do same ( riding "non offical" tubeless setups ) successfully. Everything depends on tire-rim combo. Some setups doesn't work some work like it was designed for that. Net is plenty of working perfectly setups.

But you/ anyone can go own path and religiously follow "recommendations".

Road ( read narrow, high pressure ) tires and rims are completely different thing. Here I wouldn't use anything but recommended, tested and somehow approved combo.

At 2-3 bar ? Pairing tested already solution ? I can't see any issues.

BTW I know even perfectly working Schwalbe studded ( wired bead ) tires as tubeless :shock:

But it's always personal decision.
Mark Twain

mattr

by mattr

Funny, the only tyres i failed to get tubeless was a pair of schwalbe wire bead studded tyres.

Turns out there was a slight kink in the bead that stopped it sealing properly that i hadn't noticed. Ah well!

Everything else has gone up fine. From lightweight folding CX tyres and conti supersonics (that you can shine a light through the sidewalls!) all the way through to heavy duty trail tyres. At best "tubeless ready" the vast vast majority are just, well, tyres. Mostly on stans rims though. Or at least tubeless compatible rims.

Road, never bothered. Tried a few. I'd rather just use decent tubes or tubular.

Oh, and i've converted one set of challenge CX tyres to tubeless for my own use. And one for a mate. Neither have caused any issues, other than wearing out....... again, never much above 2 bar. And on stans rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com