Upgrade Hub or Replace Wheelset

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've got a set of training wheels that are pretty much bombproof (Archetype rims, Shimano CX75 hubs and Phil Wood spokes, 28h, laced 3x). These wheels are pretty much only used for training purposes (1900g). For next CX season, I'll be swapping forks on my Crockett to the Trek thru-axle fork, so I need to either replace the front hub (currently QR, and cannot be converted) and have it re-laced, or sell the wheel set and replace it with another set of wheels.

What opinion do you guys have on this? The wheels are great, but are heavy, and would be incompatible with the new fork. The cost of lacing the wheel is $50, on top of the cost of the hub (hopefully the spokes can be reused, but if not, it's another $1.50/spoke). I'm leaning toward selling them, but just want to confirm this position, since there's nothing wrong with the rear wheel.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Are you converting just the front? I'd cost $50-100 for them to be replaced and another $50 for a Deore hub.

There are plenty of bullet proof 1900g wheel on the market for less than that effort. I'd just find something you'd like for all uses with interchangeable hubs. I have these 32sp $300 wheels( http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Pr ... 1184165_-1 ) , which were great, but I had to source 9mm/10mm thru bolt ends from alibaba. I've used them for everything, no issues under my 200lb.

I have a set of 24spoke DT swiss R32 (ER 1600 now??) https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt- ... g_id-12981 for $350, which have been pretty good. I've only used them on the road though. They came with all the adapters. They're a budget road wheel, but have some mud splitting ability.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I replaced the front with a BHS bitex hub. Most of your weight is in the hub. Archetypes are about 440g?

I was able to reuse my spokes, so wound up into it for the hub and a true at the bike shop.

Then I got a set of DIY wheels from Bdop with Kinlin XR31T rims. 28sp front and rear @ about 1694 g. 480g and 500g rims. Novatec hubs. I could have probably gone 24 spoke front and rear. Intended for road only.

Then a set of Assaults @ 1590g. Shop clearance on a 2015 set.

So.... depends on what your aim is. Want a set for road and a set for offroad? A single set for cross?

Ive kinda wound up with my Crockett as a dual purpose machine. It's setup same as my road bike now with better brakes and a better wheel selection. Still have the 46t on it but it's not especially limiting for me since I dont have big decents here. Just means I wind up a gear smaller on the cassette.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

These were my original racing wheels (when I first got into CX), which I now use for training and as backups, in case of any problems on my main wheels (carbon tubulars). The wheels are strong (and I was able to convert them to tubeless), but heavy. I may go the bitex route, especially if I can get the hub for less than $75, and I can reuse the spokes. That would make my out of pocket cost around $125, which is less than I can get a new wheelset for.