SuperX wheels & tyres for road/light gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

stormur

by stormur

bm0p700f wrote:you need stormur to know more about campagnolo wheels. the G3 lacing pattern means campagnolo make there G3 no round so the tenion applied in the groups of three pull the rim into round. it is the unsupported span that means this is essential. If you have built as I have very low spoke count wheels you get a wave set up that is difficult to control hense extremely stiff rims are required. I used a 88mm deep rim for a 12 spoke wheel it was manageable on that and I have a stable wheelset (not one I would build for any one else though). A shallower conventional rim laced with the G3 pattern would have roundness and lateral trueness issues that vary from wheel to wheel.

To maintain consistency Campagnolo use the G3 pattern and an rim specifally made not to be round that becomes round when properly tensioned, unlike a conventional rim which has to be round to begin with and will still be round when tensioned. Correcting out of roundness on a conventional rim will lead to spoke tension variation (with modern rim fairly big tension changes are needed to correct even small deviation) and this leads to accelerated spoke fatigue.

The redish will change the bracing angles and therefore the tension balance so it is not true the tensions will remain the same after the redish as before.
On the last superX wheel I did with a rim ERD of 545mm and a Miche disc brake hub normal bracing angles would have 4.4/7.5 degrees. After the 6mm redish braing angles are 5.7/6.2 degrees. So yes the zonda wheel after redish would have higher NDS spoke tension than the DS. It is not true to say that any redish will have the same tensions as the wheel before. Any change in bracing angle alters the tension balance.

So stormur before passing judgement know more about what you writing. Also try not to cast judgement on people you have never met and the work they do.

to make your loong story short : BS.

Instead of telling to others what to do, apply your advices to yourself.

Edited.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

menkar

by menkar

Stormur please draw a free body diagram of the rim and spoke tensions and it'll be obvious that bracing angle directly affects spoke tension.

Pluck the spokes on any rear wheel that uses the same size and number of DS and NDS spokes and you'll be able to hear that the NDS spokes are significantly lower tension than the DS. Now do the same on a front wheel (equal bracing angles) and they'll sound the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com