Trek Domane SLR

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MMMhills

by MMMhills

Here is my new Grinder. Just had here maiden voyage and she is a joy to ride. 2018 Trek Domane SLR 9.

The IsoSpeed is the real deal and great on taking up small bumps and vibrations. Not Span just letting you know because I was that impressed with it.

If you think you can handle 10,000 feet then check out this ride...http://www.michiganmountainmayhem.com

jlok

by jlok

Nice bike. What's the effective tire width and how much tire clearance at chainstay?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MMMhills

by MMMhills

jlok wrote:Nice bike. What's the effective tire width and how much tire clearance at chainstay?

They are 33mm file treads but measure close to 35. Both front and rear are close to max, a 37 would fit but with wheel flex it might rub a little when standing. The front at the top of the fork the clearance is tight and for the rear the front derailleur is also close.
If you think you can handle 10,000 feet then check out this ride...http://www.michiganmountainmayhem.com

jlok

by jlok

That's great. I think this bike would be great for most roadies who would love to ride do occational gravel rides.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MMMhills

by MMMhills

I do both and find I have moved more towards gravel riding and racing. The 33mm file tread is great for all but the sandiest gravel then I ride the MTB. I sold my 11 lbs road bike and bought a twin set of wheels and put a set of 27mm Paris Roubaix slicks. I use them for hard packed gravel and road riding. My Strava times are equal or better with this bike and the 27mm tires Plus its much more enjoyable to ride.

This really is the king of gravel bikes.

thumper88

by thumper88

MMMhills wrote:I do both and find I have moved more towards gravel riding and racing. The 33mm file tread is great for all but the sandiest gravel then I ride the MTB. I sold my 11 lbs road bike and bought a twin set of wheels and put a set of 27mm Paris Roubaix slicks. I use them for hard packed gravel and road riding. My Strava times are equal or better with this bike and the 27mm tires Plus its much more enjoyable to ride.

This really is the king of gravel bikes.

The Schwalbe S-one (or G-One Speed, which is what it has been relabeled) might also be good to try. Sounds like it would fit well with some of what you're riding on... I found them really fast for mixed pavement and hardback rides.

cerro

by cerro

Roadbikes offroad, awesome. Love the high profile wheels too :D Impressive to fit such big tires on a roadframe

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Can we get some better pictures of the tyre clearance :D
Using Tapatalk

jeroenfl

by jeroenfl

Nefarious86 wrote:Can we get some better pictures of the tyre clearance :D

+1

MMMhills

by MMMhills

The Domane is now being pushed as Treks gravel and or endurance bike due to IsoSpeed and a little extra tire clearance on the disc models.

Here are some clearance shots. the closest is the rear tire and Front derailleur battery.

The total weight as shown with pedals, bottle cage and Garmin mount is 16lbs 12oz or 7.6 KG with the 33 file treads and 16lbs 6oz or 7.4KG with 27 Paris Roubaix slicks.

stormur

by stormur

so you don't have any clearance at chainstays.... On forks is not enough as well.

If memory serves well Trek claims 32mm max, isn't it ? For 32 -and judging from your images- it looks like it really is enough room.

I was considering this frame as allrounder while ago, but 75mm BB drop ?? SL has even 78 in my size... :shock: So for me it was clear no go. Had while ago cross bike with low bb and ... no.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

stormur wrote:I was considering this frame as allrounder while ago, but 75mm BB drop ?? SL has even 78 in my size... :shock: So for me it was clear no go. Had while ago cross bike with low bb and ... no.

What is your issue with a lot of BB drop? Pedal strikes, or something else?

stormur

by stormur

I don't have issue with low BB, low BB has problem with me ; I'm not putting my money in such "innovation" ;)

Stirkes are one problem, 2nd is slugishness. Overall it feels wrong. It's not just 1 tube longer, it affects all geometry.

78 is 10mm lower than it should be. I don't see , nor experienced any benefits.
Mark Twain

MMMhills

by MMMhills

I prefer a lower BB (I think). I work at a bike shop and have put miles on many different bikes, that being said a lower BB puts the rider in a lower position decreasing air drag and making the center of gravity lower. Yes pedal strikes can happen easier but for a road or gravel bike this is not ever a problem. Can I tell the difference...NO but it makes sense that if my BB is lower and I am lower than I am more aero??? Either way this bike is fast and fun to ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

For sake of aeroness-ish it has sense, no doubts ( vide recent tt bikes, Lapierre will be very good example here ) BUT if you look at stack of bikes with low bb ( endurance type ) , it is not lower at all... it's higher at the front. From my very non scientific observations 54-55 endurance frame has handlebar on same height as "racing" bike 2 sizes bigger ( top of the bar to front axle distance ) . To low pedals during even slight cornering is, was and always will be a problem. You just can't pedal when all others do. For me bikes with low bb ( 69mm+ for road, 65mm+ for cx ) just feel... dead. Planted. Without liveliness. Accelerate worse, climb worse ( specially under my heavy butt ) . Just personal impression, however I always wonder why Look keep BB relatively high ( same Ridley, isn't it ? ) in comaprison to so -called "standard" ( 69mm road ). Now riding everywhere on bike with very similar bb height ( 63 mine vs 64 Look 695 f.e. ) and I know :)

Undoubtfully lowering bb adds stability, but same kills liveliness. 80mm is touring cruiser "norm"...
Mark Twain