Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Thoughts on CX build
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:52 pm 

So I'm FINALLY going to build my 2016 Stevens Super Prestige disc.... kind of torn between the build though (this is for racing application)

The following are the options...

1) Sram Force 1
2) Ultegra 6870 Di2
3) Sram Etap
4) Pull my Dura Ace 9070 off my Tarmac and move it over to the Stevens, and upgrade the Tarmac to 9150

Yes its a wide range of options.... my worry with keeping the "old" Shimano stuff on the CX bike is going to be product availability down the road..
I was also looking at the new Ultegra di2 option but haven't really seen anything out there yet... by the time it comes out it seems season will almost be done...

Post subject: Thoughts on CX build
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:52 pm 

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on CX build
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 pm 

Depends. I'm usually a Shimano guy, especially Di2. That said, I think there are a few questions to be answered first

Is this a strictly UCI-based cx race bike? Will you be using it for other types of ride? Terrain type?

1. Force 1: 1x11, clutch
2. No clutch. May need to use a chain-guide, if 1x11. Obviously finer gearing selection, but may be cumbersome.
3. Etap: Very nice, but still no clutch. Clean install. If you want to use wider, non-UCI tires in a 2x11 setting, the front derailleur may get in the way for clearance.
4. See #2.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:59 pm 

Hi there,
Yes, strictly race / training for cross on... maybe a "few" gravel road rides. but in general Im a road guy so when I say "few" I literally mean 1 or 2...

The terrain type around here is mostly flat.. no excessive climbs... most of the courses here run near rivers so if it rains, that thick gummmy muck is what we get..

Courses here are well.. I'll refer to them as obstacle courses more than anything...

justaute wrote:
Depends. I'm usually a Shimano guy, especially Di2. That said, I think there are a few questions to be answered first

Is this a strictly UCI-based cx race bike? Will you be using it for other types of ride? Terrain type?

1. Force 1: 1x11, clutch
2. No clutch. May need to use a chain-guide, if 1x11. Obviously finer gearing selection, but may be cumbersome.
3. Etap: Very nice, but still no clutch. Clean install. If you want to use wider, non-UCI tires in a 2x11 setting, the front derailleur may get in the way for clearance.
4. See #2.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:09 pm 

How about option #4b? :)

4b. Assuming you want 1x11 -- move 9070 to Stevens and buy just an XTR rear derailleur so you can run Shimano 1x11. This way, you can have both 1x11 and 2x11 options for that bike. Other than the rear derailleur, everything else is transferrable and can be shared.