Anyone using egg beaters for CX?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Eggbeaters are the only pedals I’ve ever had that fell apart, the spring pops out rendering them useless just when you need them most, utter garbage.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

bikewithnoname wrote:Eggbeaters are the only pedals I’ve ever had that fell apart, the spring pops out rendering them useless just when you need them most, utter garbage.

I hate eggbeaters (and Candys). A pedal broke right before a xc race. Seems like they go 'loose' within a few months. Rebuilding has little effect.

(I'm using and loving Look Quartz pedals now - so unpopular they were discontinued within a few years of release, so perhaps my opinion is of little value.)
Last edited by dmcgoy on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Anklebeaters were not durable and consistent for me. They also need TLC and hurt like crazy when you miss in the heat of the action.
ONLY XTR with ti spindles all CX and MTBs in my household.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

fogman

by fogman

bikewithnoname wrote:(I'm using and loving Time ATAC pedals now - so unpopular they were discontinued within a few years of release, so perhaps my opinion is of little value.)

I am also using the Time ATAC XC8 pedals on my Focus Mares CX. I did not know they were discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

fogman wrote:
bikewithnoname wrote:(I'm using and loving Time ATAC pedals now - so unpopular they were discontinued within a few years of release, so perhaps my opinion is of little value.)

I am also using the Time ATAC XC8 pedals on my Focus Mares CX. I did not know they were discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, meant Look Quartz.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

It sounds like all the experiences here were with older pedals. I have no less than 6 sets of the newer ones and they have been flawless.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

I have a pair of the earlier-generation Eggbeater 4Tis and the newer generation Eggbeater 3s. Both have worked fantastically well for me. They're both easier to get into and way better in mud than my previous Speedplay Frogs. I've got eggbeaters on two bikes and Candys on another two. My road bikes have Speedplay X1s.

I've never had an Eggbeater "blow up" on me, but I have friends for whom they didn't last. Many of those friends rave about Time ATACs, but a new pair of ATAC Titan Carbons would cost about $400 at retail and weigh ~70 grams more than my 4Tis.

The Eggbeater 11s (an updated version of my 4Tis) go for roughly $400 as well, but they're also ~70 grams lighter per pair than the ATACs and I have pretty good luck finding Eggbeaters on sale. I think my 4Tis were $240 or so. Also, you can get Eggbeater 3s for about $100 and then add $60 titanium spindles (tispindles.com) for a $160 pair of pedals that weighs about 215 grams per pair--about 25 grams lighter than the $400 ATACs. Time's ATAC XC6 is about the same price, but ~300 grams per pair (and white, which is an odd color choice for a mountain bike pedal).

joshpeck

by joshpeck

Didn't like the crankbros durability, but for shedding mud they are at the top of the game

ooo

by ooo

'