Any Focus R.A.T. users? I need some help

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I just bought a used focus paralane and it uses focus's proprietary RAT through axle. My problem is that the two-part nut on the rear axle stopped turning, making it impossible to tighten / loosen the pressure of the lever. The two parts seem to be stuck together very strongly.

On the same bike on the front axle, these parts are separated and the nut turns freely.

Did anyone had any issue with this? I'm feeling that I'm missing something... or did I just have a broken through axle in the rear? Thanks.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

nemeseri wrote:I just bought a used focus paralane and it uses focus's proprietary RAT through axle. My problem is that the two-part nut on the rear axle stopped turning, making it impossible to tighten / loosen the pressure of the lever. The two parts seem to be stuck together very strongly.

On the same bike on the front axle, these parts are separated and the nut turns freely.

Did anyone had any issue with this? I'm feeling that I'm missing something... or did I just have a broken through axle in the rear? Thanks.

I'm interested in this, I ride an Izalco Max disc with RAT axles.

I've had a look on the net and found this. Part way down there's someone who had the same issue, which they solved with pliers

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... xle-owners
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Just to post the happy ending of my story for the future reader: I visited my LBS and the bike mechanic had stronger hands then me and with a little bit of effort he screwed the two parts apart (the nut and the small plate). I still think that it's a little bit a design issue that even accidentally you can screw the nut together with a plate so strong that it's almost impossible to separate them. Anyway, problem solved.

calleking

by calleking

Bump!

My rear thru axle isn't turning on my Mares CX. The "quick release" handle just popped off and the axle is pretty much round now. The thru axle is stuck and there is just no way to turn it. My LBS started drilling out the rear thru axle nut socket on the drive side. They didn't finish the job so I took home the bike yesterday and continued drilling out the thru axle.

How do you remove the rear axle nut socket? The little screw next to it only stops the nut from turning but there is just no way of removing the nut. Googled for ages but I'm unable to find a manual about this.

Any ideas?
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

kervelo

by kervelo

I recommend that you contact Focus bikes via their web site. The customer service is very helpful.

calleking

by calleking

kervelo wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:43 pm
I recommend that you contact Focus bikes via their web site. The customer service is very helpful.
Thanks. Running out of ideas so that is probably the best suggestion.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com