Felt cyclocross line FX

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Any Felt FX owners ? I've been looking at their lineup for the upcoming CX season.

Looking for opinion on some of their builds and how they ride on a CX course and gravel rides.

Krackor

by Krackor

I picked up a F4x this Spring. It's a bit on the heavy side, and I think the fork is somewhat to blame with its aluminum steerer. I haven't weighed it separately so take that with a grain of salt. Sram s-series crankset is also on the heavy side, but I replaced it with a Quarq Dzero Carbon which shaved about 100g. The published weight is 20.06 lbs but it was more like 23 lbs when I got it home from the shop (size 58cm).

I picked the Fx out of a huge list of models that I considered mostly because of the geometry. It is longer in reach that basically every other CX frame I could find. I'm going to run a shorter stem in the hopes that the steering is quicker around tight turns in races. It's going to push my weight backwards away from the front wheel so I'm worried about keeping front wheel traction, but I don't have any significant off-road time on the bike so time will tell.

I'm happy with the drivetrain. Rival1 shifter and Force Cx1 derailleur is the sweetspot in terms of performance, weight, and price balance.

The Novatech wheels are respectably light but the freehub engages really slowly so I will replace them before race season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Thanks ! that's what I thought; Fork and crankset for the weight. In return I'm sure the bike handles great and the crankset is an easy swap.

njyeti

by njyeti

I have a Felt F1x Di2 that I've done ~15 races on. I love the bike- the handling is very quick and it accelerates and climbs well. With the Enve CX tubulars, the weight is down around 16 lbs.

I'm completely happy with the bike- at this point I wouldn't change anything with the build. Highly recommended if you're racing cross this fall!

Mtek

by Mtek

@njyeti

Nice bike, looks good. I have a question on the weight of those tubular wheels, and with what hubs? I'm also curious on what you think of the Clements (if you used for all 15 races). Thank you

njyeti

by njyeti

Hey @Mtek, they're w/out tires presently (re-gluing before upcoming season) but I can weigh this weekend once tires are back on for accurate weight. They're built with DT Swiss 240s- solid hubs.

I found the Clement's to be absolutely bulletproof in all the races. I didn't have a single flat all season and even slammed into a curb at speed (last lap, the bunny hop didn't happen). My only complaint would be that the feel of them on the course is stiffer than other tubulars. Tough to describe. This season I'm going to try the FMB Slaloms.

commendatore

by commendatore

Krackor wrote:I picked up a F4x this Spring.
The published weight is 20.06 lbs but it was more like 23 lbs when I got it home from the shop (size 58cm).

Eek. I've been looking around at "budget" options for a new bike but that is pretty portly!

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Two new paint jobs for the more carbon budget models

The statement paint job : http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bi ... 6/F4x.aspx

The classic paint job : http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bi ... 73189.aspx

100$ difference.

Egg shell for the "sweet spot" model : http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bi ... 73187.aspx
but I don't think that model will be ready for a while (no shimano r8000 ?!) from what I've been told.

Krackor

by Krackor

commendatore wrote:
Krackor wrote:I picked up a F4x this Spring.
The published weight is 20.06 lbs but it was more like 23 lbs when I got it home from the shop (size 58cm).

Eek. I've been looking around at "budget" options for a new bike but that is pretty portly!

I went back to weight the bike now and it is quite a bit lighter than before: 20.1 lbs. I have made some changes to it, but totaling up the changes it doesn't come to 3 lbs, so I must have mis-weighed the bike initially.

Changes from stock:
* [-100g] Easton EC90 SL handlebar
* [-100g] Maxxis Refuse 32mm tires (1 tubeless, 1 tubed; I'm halfway through conversion to tubeless)
* [???] Shimano Dura Ace pedals (don't remember what pedals I weighed with before)
* [-50g] Specialized Phenom Pro saddle
* [-150g] Thomson Masterpiece 240mm seatpost (this was half the weight of the stock seatpost)
* [-10g] Wolftooth 42t oval chainring
* [+100g] K-edge wahoo mount + headlight mounting bracket
* [-200g] Sram Quarq DZero GXP

I have a set of Nox Falkor 36D wheels coming, which might drop another 100-200g from the stock Novatech wheels. The other tubeless conversion will save 100g or so. Removing accessories will save ~75g on race day. Race weight should be somewhere in the 19.5 lb range.

jemima

by jemima

Devinci Hatchet geo is very close to the Felt. Another frame option if considering options.
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com