Focus mares fork mod

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

So got a focus fork with a 15mm thru axle and this past winter got to thinking about not carrying my multitool with me but how. Well picked up an industry9 matchstix at a race with a rock shox thread and got to thinking I can use this. So order a 15x1.5 bolt off Amazon and get to work with a hand file.
First create notch in bolt for set screw to recess intoImage
Then make channel so set screw will thread into bolt. Next round corners of bolt a they were just a little to large. Image
Then make sure it fitsImage
It adds weight but I can shave probably another 6 grams when I get the die to make the threads longer on the axle. Right now adds 60 grams for 5 wrenches a chain link a chain beaker and spoke wrench. Peace of mind is much greater though. Image
I can then cut axle down and take a bit out.
Last edited by dtwolfen on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uraz

by uraz

Why didn't you buy a RAT axle and end cap from focus?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

uraz wrote:Why didn't you buy a RAT axle and end cap from focus?
Because I wanted the tools from the matchstix.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

uraz

by uraz

Oh I see now, I didn't know that there is a multitool hidden inside.

I'd like to replace RAT with threaded thruaxle in my izalco but it's not that easy as I initialy thought. Length of the axle is not standard so I can't use any axle from the market. Endcaps should be cutom milled and anodised. At the end I'm not sure that 1 small bolt holding endcap would handle twisting loads.

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

uraz wrote:Oh I see now, I didn't know that there is a multitool hidden inside.

I'd like to replace RAT with threaded thruaxle in my izalco but it's not that easy as I initialy thought. Length of the axle is not standard so I can't use any axle from the market. Endcaps should be cutom milled and anodised. At the end I'm not sure that 1 small bolt holding endcap would handle twisting loads.
I'll let you know if I have a failure. You are right about getting threads anodized if new ones are cut. I just used a spacer on the non disc side. Ideally I'd have a custom piece of aluminium cut and threaded for the axle but not enough time to go after that.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk