Cannondale F series mountain bike conversion

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MikeD

by MikeD

I'm thinking about converting an F series bike to gravel use. I would change out the bars to drop and change to narrower rubber with an inverted tread so it rolls better on pavement. Tubeless also. I have an F series mountain bike that weighs 24+ lbs. 26 inch wheels aren't as good as 700's for comfort, but the Headshok fork would smooth things out, plus it locks out and is very rigid. Weight is a bit high compared to carbon gravel bikes though, but not too bad. This checks several boxes for me including: low cost, low gearing, fat tires, V brakes. What do you think?
Last edited by MikeD on Sun May 07, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grover

by grover

A guy was in the category that allows any bikes at a local CX race. He'd put drop bars on an old Dean titanium soft tail with 26" wheels. I loved the idea. I say go for it. Geometry is getting longer with shorter stems. So these late 90s, early 2000s MTBs practically have a reach measurement and head angle for modern day CX bikes.

If you could get one with disc mounts that'd be ideal as you could run 29 wheels with 35mm tyres, or 27.5 wheels with 40-45mm tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

Not sure about the geometry of your bike so keep in mind reach/stacks or ETT after conversion. I converted a 29er stumpjumper HT and with the stock 90mm stem and dropbars the thing was about 4 or 5cm longer than my roadies.

Not sure why you think 26" arent as good as 700c for comfort? In my experience it's tyre volume that determines this...
Chasse patate

MikeD

by MikeD

grover wrote:A guy was in the category that allows any bikes at a local CX race. He'd put drop bars on an old Dean titanium soft tail with 26" wheels. I loved the idea. I say go for it. Geometry is getting longer with shorter stems. So these late 90s, early 2000s MTBs practically have a reach measurement and head angle for modern day CX bikes.

If you could get one with disc mounts that'd be ideal as you could run 29 wheels with 35mm tyres, or 27.5 wheels with 40-45mm tyres.

Didn't think about going to disc brakes as I was wanting to save weight and money with V's, but really good idea.

silvalis wrote:Not sure why you think 26" arent as good as 700c for comfort? In my experience it's tyre volume that determines this...

True, but larger diameter tires roll over bumps easier (smaller angle of attack). My 29er is a lot smoother on the trails than my 26er is.

bumpkin

by bumpkin

It can definitely be done. This setup has worked great for Midwest gravel.

https://goo.gl/photos/BL4tNCec4fxs6anz8

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

MikeD wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 6:07 pm
I'm thinking about converting an F series bike to gravel use.
What did you end up doing on this proposed project? Gravel conversion, or did you end up picking up something that was more of a ready to go gravel ride?

MikeD

by MikeD

TheKaiser wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 6:07 pm
I'm thinking about converting an F series bike to gravel use.
What did you end up doing on this proposed project? Gravel conversion, or did you end up picking up something that was more of a ready to go gravel ride?
I was going to buy an F series Cannondale and convert it, but the deal fell through. I then took the F series I already had and put the Continental tires I bought for the conversion and put the tires on it and did a mixed bumpy pavement and dirt ride. Bottom line, I didn't like the ride and like my touring bike with fat tires better for those conditions.

tomatoe

by tomatoe

Old cannondale frames are brilliant for conversions. I hunted for one with disc brake tabs in the rear so i could build it properly with bigger wheelsize.
Here's mine:
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/cannondale-f500-36557
Might put some dropbars on it and rival shifters when spring comes. Or maybe not, i really like the current Salsa handlebar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com