Upgrade Giant TCX Wheels

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my 2016 Giant TCX to something a bit lighter than the stock PX-2 (around 2350g). I use the bike primarily for gravel/dirt roads, bike paths and single track. My first choice at this stage would be the DT Swiss R23 (1655g), which I can get from Wiggle for around $600 AUD. Not wanting to spend anymore than that, is there anything else I should be looking at?
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Those wheels are familiar to me. Roll nice but _heavy_.

Depending on your weight I'd go for these. I'm guessing they're machine built but the set my ex-gf has, has done well. A tension-check when they come out of the box and you're good to go.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-all ... -wheelset/
Ride it like you stole it

stormur

by stormur

for the money they aren't bad choice. basicaaly lightest for the money. 1 issue only : brake rotors in those are closer to frame around 1.2mm than "standard"; on some frames it can be issue. Real weight ( incl dt tubeless tape ) is 1635g ( mine, measured ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Do you mean the Cosine wheels or the DT Swiss?

When setting up the Cosine set I didn't face any issues with disc alignment. Their hubs are Novatec I believe.

stormur

by stormur

DT . Cosine are a tad lighter but not even close in quality to DT.

I build recently own wheelset fro same € as DtR23 DB : DT 411 Asy rims, DT 350 hubs ( 24-28 ) & Sapim D-light spokes: 1550g, so again bit lighter, but feels MUCH better.
Mark Twain

jeffy

by jeffy

^ a much better build. come drink the handbuilt koolaid OP. it's great!

seriously.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

The Cosine wheels look pretty good for the money. Is it easy enough to get a thru axle conversion kit for front and back? I currently have F 15mm R 12mm.

stormur wrote:for the money they aren't bad choice. basicaaly lightest for the money. 1 issue only : brake rotors in those are closer to frame around 1.2mm than "standard"; on some frames it can be issue. Real weight ( incl dt tubeless tape ) is 1635g ( mine, measured ).

I read on Wiggle that someone had an issue with the brakes lining up with the rotor after putting the DT Swiss wheels on...I assume due to what you have mentioned stormur.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

stormur

by stormur

Generally I'm not a fan of DT "3pawl" hubs. They're not even close to ratchett hubs, even 350 . There's always some issue with it, regardless rim or disc brakes. Same I avoid like a plague "OEM" wheelsets ( also when made by "reputable" brand ) ; for me - as a rule - it's crap, and I'm rarely wrong.

To judge any product look at it after some fair usage, like 5000km.

Cosine has round spokes, "looks like Novatec" hubs, brass niples. I wouldn't buy it, friend of mine likes them a lot. Have to admit, there's ZERO issues so far with them. Still work like new ( can'r say exact mileage, but ... a lot ) .

Conversion to TA : no idea. Didn't checked, it never bothered me.
Mark Twain

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Their hubs are Novatec 700 series so the Novatec through-axle kit should work.

Nice build Stormur. How do you like those rims?

I'm dealing with the same issue now. Build something or go for easy and cheap with Cosine.

stormur

by stormur

Have start of the season @work (boats) , so not so much time for riding... anyway I made few hundred km on and off road - still flawlessly. I tested them "my way" ( mashing on low cadence, going to fast on to rough terrain, hard cornering... ) and wheels passed in 100%. I'm not light ( 88kg now ) so not very easy life for any wheels under my butt ;) .

I build this set because couldn't find anything resonably priced for every day use : moderately light and very durable. So far I'm very happy.

Rims are asymmetric, so tension is much more "even" than on standard wheels. first 200km I made without any spoke freezer and all was fine. I applied DT freezer, but just for peace of mind. Rims comes with washers and squorx nipples, but I used Sapim Polyax.

Would I build same set again ? Absolutely yes. For the price : impeccebale. Lighter and stronger than anything ready ( for same budget ) . To not mention service-ability.
Mark Twain

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com