Build/kit ideas for a fast touring bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

@mattr wouldn't have even crossed my mind, will def heli tape contact points if I go carbon :thumbup:

@Marin love a bit of DIY - had a look at carbon repair kits, wasn't really sure what was appropriate though. Definitely interested though if it saves some cash and well.. the seatstay still seems really strong. You can sprint on it, smash it up hills etc and that crack doesn't worsen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Shrike wrote:You can sprint on it, smash it up hills etc and that crack doesn't worsen.

And I thought I was crazy

mattr

by mattr

It probably is getting worse, you just can't see it yet.

On the plus side, even if the stay fails, it *should* be a fairly benign failure. The back end will get all wobbly and the tyre/wheel will rub all over the place. Then you'll stop. I have seen this exact failure before, failed seat stay.

£300 is well over the top for a repair. Unless it's going to be an "as new" with regards layup and paint finish.
But if you are going to use it as a fast tourer/road bikepacker, just get a "standard" repair and DIY the paint/lacquer.

And the little clip ons are useful for long straight flat roads, so not hugely useful in the UK. Long distance US and EU touring they might be more useful.And they are only little stubbies for a slight benefit, not full on aero TT bars. So only a couple of hundred grams.

Shrike

by Shrike

@mattr just searched the emails.. they want £480 all in for it to be repaired and repainted on that bit. Hence my reluctance!

These guys:
http://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/?gclid=Cj ... oCPt7w_wcB

Ulver

by Ulver

What did you decide to do in the end? Thinking of doing the NC500 properly myself though more likely as a 5-6 day credit card tour carrying minimal gear. Or maybe the Bryan Chapman 600k audax route as I can drive to the start at least.