Colnago Prestige build - question about the supplied parts

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

How much clearance do you have between your drive side crank and the frame? I am building a Prestige as well and found the Chorus cranks (new 4 arm) specifically the small chain-ring bolts have very little clearance to the frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pezeke

by Pezeke

anicell wrote:Hi Sorry I know its unrelated to your question abut the parts for the build, but I am struggling to find info about real life tyre clearance on this frame.

Because of where I live and the terrain I'd like to be capable of putting 38-40mm tyres in it but unsure if these would fit.

Hope it has turned out well for you.

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I'm attaching some pics of the tire clearance on my bike. Currently running Clément's X'Plor MSO 36 mm tubeless, for which there is certainly enough clearance. Actually, I'm also wondering whether around 40 mm would be fine. I think it could work. This is, however, my first cyclocross build, so I have limited experience here. I'll leave the assessment to the experts on the forum.

ImageImageImage

Pezeke

by Pezeke

kgbianchi wrote:How much clearance do you have between your drive side crank and the frame? I am building a Prestige as well and found the Chorus cranks (new 4 arm) specifically the small chain-ring bolts have very little clearance to the frame.

Geez, you're absolutely right :shock: I just saw this after reading your post. The clearance is minimal to say the least. We're talking 1 mm here. I have a Potenza crankset, so I presume it's identical to the Chorus 4-arm in terms of this. That being said, I haven't had any problems with my setup. Not tested in mud yet, though.

How is this working out for you? Could it be that the already discussed crank shim is used for increasing this clearance?

Pezeke

by Pezeke

Calnago wrote:Seems like everything is fine, but the inclusion of that crown race and the mysterious extra spacer still has me wanting to know why it came with your frame. I managed to get access to a new Prestige the other day and briefly dropped the fork to see how it was set up. Here's a couple pics...

[pics]

So, I was most interested in seeing where the bearing sat on the fork's built in crown race, to determine whether it sat lower than in the picture you showed of yours, which could indicate that while your bearing fits, it still may not be the correct one and that the correct one might sit lower, and minimizing the gap between the fork and the headtube. But it's hard for me to really say that there's any difference looking at the two. You decide. Still, in the meantime I would be interested to know why exactly the other crown race was included with your frame since it is clearly not even an option with the fork supplied, and what the heck that spacer is for. Looking at your pics of the crown race, it looks like there's a recess on the side that would sit hidden on top of the fork. Does the spacer fit into that recess? If so, maybe it is there to provide a bit more gap in the event that it is too close on some installs, sort of a use it if you need to and lose it if you don't, kind of thing. Similar to shimming the top above the compression ring if the headset cover rubs on the top of the headtube maybe. Still, it would only be applicable to a fork without a molded in crown race. If you find out anything further, please post what you find up here. I'll do the same.

Calnago, thanks for diving deeper into this. Much appreciated. In the meantime the headset has been assembled and the rest of the bike is completed. I came to the conclusion that the crown race is superfluous to this particular fork and that there was never any reason to include it with the frameset in the first place.

The bike rides wonderfully, by the way :D No issues with the headset so far.

Ps. Where on the forum should I post a pic of the bike?

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Regarding the crank, frame clearance. I ended up installing a wavy washer on the drive side and non-drive side to keep the crank from rubbing. I am sure there will be rubbing in muddy conditions. Either way I am enjoying the bike!

Pezeke

by Pezeke

kgbianchi wrote:Regarding the crank, frame clearance. I ended up installing a wavy washer on the drive side and non-drive side to keep the crank from rubbing. I am sure there will be rubbing in muddy conditions. Either way I am enjoying the bike!

Interesting. I should strongly consider this myself. How much clearance do you have now on the drive side?

Speaking of the frame, did you have fitting issues with the cable inserts for the down tube? There was no way mine could fit, since they were too big. This left me with two choices: Either filing and widening the frame holes or modifying the inserts themselves. I chose the latter, as it seemed like the less dramatic option. I used a Dremel for the job. It surely took me some time, but I eventually managed to make them fit. Nevertheless, this shouldn't be something every buyer has to do.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Pezeke wrote:
kgbianchi wrote:Regarding the crank, frame clearance. I ended up installing a wavy washer on the drive side and non-drive side to keep the crank from rubbing. I am sure there will be rubbing in muddy conditions. Either way I am enjoying the bike!

Interesting. I should strongly consider this myself. How much clearance do you have now on the drive side?

Speaking of the frame, did you have fitting issues with the cable inserts for the down tube? There was no way mine could fit, since they were too big. This left me with two choices: Either filing and widening the frame holes or modifying the inserts themselves. I chose the latter, as it seemed like the less dramatic option. I used a Dremel for the job. It surely took me some time, but I eventually managed to make them fit. Nevertheless, this shouldn't be something every buyer has to do.

The clearance between the crank and frame on the drive side is now .5-1mm.

I did not have any issue with the cable inserts. I used Campagnolo Shift housing and Yokozuna brake housing.

bananapls

by bananapls

Congratulations with a prestigious bike Pezeke :) I'm actually planning on almost the exact same build, atleast when it comes to the Potenza group and this frameset. What chainrings are you running? Im planning on a compact 50/34, could you show me some more pictures of the "potential rub" area? And ofcourse pics of the whole bike :)

raph37

by raph37

Do you have the weight of the frame only? and the fork?

Pezeke

by Pezeke

bananapls wrote:Congratulations with a prestigious bike Pezeke :) I'm actually planning on almost the exact same build, atleast when it comes to the Potenza group and this frameset. What chainrings are you running? Im planning on a compact 50/34, could you show me some more pictures of the "potential rub" area? And ofcourse pics of the whole bike :)

ImageImage
Hope these pics show the area a bit better. In the meantime, the bike has been tested in slightly muddy conditions. As can be seen, some mud has stuck to the frame where the distance between the frame and the chainring is the smallest. However, there has been no rubbing. We'll see how this goes in heavy mud.

I would be curious to know whether the new disc-specific Potenza crankset would increase this particular distance. More about it here: https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/05/09/ca ... -aluminum/

I'm running 34-46 and very happy with that. The 46 ring is from Spécialités TA - as far as I know the only producer of a 46 ring for 4-armed Campagnolo cranks.

Pezeke

by Pezeke

raph37 wrote:Do you have the weight of the frame only? and the fork?
Here you go...

ImageImage

Pezeke

by Pezeke

Finished bike (in need of a wash):

(Headset police: I'm getting to the final steerer tube cutting :lol:)

sryke

by sryke

Pezeke wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 pm
raph37 wrote:Do you have the weight of the frame only? and the fork?
Here you go...

ImageImage
Hi - is this the weight of the naked frame or with axles and other small parts? Colnago gives 1050g for the frame (without saying if this is the naked frame and what size). What is your frame's size?

I assume there haven't been any changes from 2017 to 2018.

Thanks.