Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:14 pm 

the reviews I have seen of the zipp 30 course make them sound like a good fit for what you want.
i've actually been looking at them to use as road wheels on my gravel bike.

there are many other brands out there, HED included, handbuilt, etc. it's just a matter of how much investigation you want to do, and if you can sort through the opinions on each of them here.

not to disparage any opinions in any way, shape or form, this forum is full of good experience and guidance, so ask if you are unsure.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:03 am 

I'll offer my limited experience:
Cranks: another vote for 2x. A compact with a 32 in the back gives you all the range you need, and honestly it's not that much heavier or more complex (a chaincatcher is a smart addition in rough terrain). What is your budget for the cranks? (Sram or Praxis are interesting options)

Wheels: I rode two weeks through Tanzania on Hunts Gravel Disc wheels (with bikepacking bags). They are still perfectly aligned, but the lack of a brake track makes the rim vulnerable to side-impact. Same weight as Zipp, a little deeper profile, a little wider and the choice between centerlock and sixbolt. For almost half the price of the Zipps.

Curve is a lot more expensive, as wel as full carbon. There is a Hunt alternative there too, but I have no experience with those. Again, what is your budget?

Tires: If you're going to use a separate tire for cyclocross, my suggestion would be a wide slick tire. Compass has beautiful tubeless slicks, but they're expensive and possibly fragile. Honestly we'd need to now how much of you're riding is going to be offroad (and how bad those roads would be). I use Schwalbe pro ones at home for tarmac (a mistake, they are fragile), and used Challenge Gravel grinders in Africa (another mistake, should've gone tubeless -> Clement MSO 36mm should've been my choice).

If you've got the money for curve wheels, maybe two wheelsets with different tires is an option. So you can switch out depending on your ride? (Hunt Aero light with IRC Roadlite tires + Hunt gravel disc with cross or gravel tires).

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:03 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm 
in the industry

I wanted to chime in as a fellow Sequoia rider. Did you end up changing your bike? I have the Expert Sequoia with Force X1, and I'm going the opposite direction, and putting a 2X setup on it. I don't like the big jumps in the gears on the massive 11-42 cassette, and I am going back to the a 50/34, and 11-25. I totally agree about the tires though. They are big and sluggish. I'm going to try some Roubaix 32's on the original wheels for now setup tubeless, and see how I like it. I've contemplated upgrading the wheels, but I haven't really thought a whole lot about it. It's not a huge priority. The bikes is really fun as is, I think the 2x, and a lighter tire will be a huge gain.