Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:00 pm 

Bought a brand new pinarello cross bike and the frame cracked in the rear triangle after the fourth ride. No crash just noticed it when I was cleaning the bike. Apparently another guy who night his bike at the same shop had the same thing happen and pinarello denied the claim. It's been two weeks and no word on my claim. Anyone else run across this problem?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 pm 

I have FCX, it didn't cracked :shock: .

I wouldn't judge any manufacturer warranty claims management basing on someone's "story". In that matter every case is different. From other hand, Italian brands aren't easiest to deal with when something went wrong. When they took your money.. they're gone ;) And how dare you implicate that their fabulous product failed ?! :mrgreen:

Depends from your location, there's plenty of "solutions" for stubborn seller/manufacturer and UNDENIABLE warranty case. Just matter of effort and time. Works. Always.

With some brands ( premium range ) you won't have such issues at all ( BMC in my case, also cross , few years ago, crack on chainstay after 200km, replaced with new frame, from report to signing package with new frame 7-10 days if memory serves well ) .

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:40 pm 

BTW do you have picture of this damage ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:33 pm 

It's hard to imagine them denying your claim on what is essentially a brand new bike. It's also hard to imagine your dealer not going to bat for you or making it good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 am 

In some cases it's not hard to imagine. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:00 am 

AJS914 wrote:
It's hard to imagine them denying your claim on what is essentially a brand new bike. It's also hard to imagine your dealer not going to bat for you or making it good.
Some dealer/importer/manufacturer combinations seem to think the entire purpose of their existence is to move money from your bank account to theirs.

Any faults or issues with the products they exchange for the money, you can sort yourself. You've bought it, your problem.
Even stuff that is faulty out of the box.

There are a good few manufacturers and importers i won't give any money to after having that sort of experience.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:44 am 

Yeah I won't buy Bianchi again after seeing how the operate post-sale.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:13 am 

I wonder who repairs Pinarello on their warranty (anyone who knows?)
I have only seen one picture of a repaired seatstay.
From a cosmetical point of view, it was not looking good.
The fibres was placed uneven. It probably held up fine, but i surely didn't look very well executed.

I think all repair/warranty is a bit questionable for companies buying containers of frames from Asia.
The credibility that frames goes back to same factory is minimal.
I spoke to a company about this and they told me it would be a nightmare for them if a frame model was designed with a flaw leading to cracks or such.
This because all frames were made in Asia and no inhouse repair was possible.

I have always concluded that for this reason most of these companies sells frames which are constructed a bit more robust (heavy).

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:21 am 

No one is repairing anything ( warranty claims ) . In every financial model there's position called "warranty claims percentage", and cost included in frameset price.

Cost of the frame manufacturing in Taiwan, shipping to EU + all taxes is around (2017) 500€ for high-end stuff. It's 5-7 working hours of skilled techician charged by reputable service. Repair is not justified finanically. Just shipping frame from yours , or mine location to ... lets say Italy is the cost which cause headache at their offices ;) . It's cheaper, faster and better for reputation to ask you for total damage of the frame and send you new one.

As a complex mold product I wouldn't agree for any kind repair of CF frame. Point of repair is return to "before damage" condition. That is simply not possible. It is not designed to be repaired ( not like airplane/ boat applications of CF composites ) .

Other thing is how certain frame designer ( won't call majority of them manufacturers because they do not manufacture anything ) deals with warranty claims. Some ( at "premium" level of -at least- pricing ) deal brilliantly, some doesn't . Italian brands are known for not best service in that matter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm 

I have just seen two pictures of two different F8 which both were repaired.
None of them really looked good.

Ax Lightness for instance has been designing their frames so they can undo for instance, rear section.
So these can be repaired.

Most repairs seems like they just patch the damage. Thing is a premium frame is built from inside and out.
So the internal layup has also it's external counterpart layup.

It's understandable if we imagine a frame has some micromovement unseen to the eye.
I find it very intersting with layups.

I think Jure Berk can repair most frames.
But if we rewind a bit. Since a Pina F8 now cost almost 5000 Euro and F10 5200 Euro, Cipo NK1 about 6000 Euro.
With this in mind i have a hard time imagine the frames are exchanged easily.

I read one guy had a Cipo RB1 paint crack, possibly even the frame.
He had a waiting time of 10 month for the job.

Pina also have a rather short warranty. I would guess most brands also claim the right to decide if they even see fit to exchange / repair a frame.
This is a grey area. You can claim 2, 5, 10 or life time warranty. But question is how this is dealt with.

There are people who have had Time frames cracked and Time decline warranty.

One guy at WW had a Scott Addict SL, bought and untouched by him. Scott declined his request of warranty.
So again,... this is something i find a bit worrying.

Imagine a 5000 Euro frame which crack for no obvious reason, the manufacturer decline your request.
That must be a nightmare!

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm 

1st thing , EU law describe exact maximum time to sord out warranty claim, if it's not figured out clinet gets new product or money refund. If someone decide to not use his/ hers consumer rights... their problem.

Read again : retail price is IRRELEVANT for manufacturer. High end frame manufacturing cost is 500€ MAX if made in far east. So the replacement cost is 500€ plus 20-30 for DHL/Fedex... . Double it ( doubt it, TW/Cn work prices become similar to EU ) for EU made frames.

Last thing, if they are not able to make perfectly manufactured frameset, scanned for potential issues, with perfectly executed engineering , which in retail cost half of the small car : that's their problem, not mine.

There's a reason why I purchase ALL my frames from UK ( check consumer protection law there ;) ) . Even issue is not issue at all :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:08 pm 

stormur wrote:
Point of repair is return to "before damage" condition. That is simply not possible.
It is, it's just very very difficult, requires a lot of experience and the ability to work out the layup as you strip the damaged bit of frame out. Or get the layup information direct from the manufacturer. It also takes a lot of time.

Usually making repairs on all but the most expensive frames as "not financially viable".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:18 pm 

mattr wrote:
Usually making repairs on all but the most expensive frames as "not financially viable".

Putting warranty issues aside, this does not seem to be true judging by the many carbon repairers existing at least in UK. People are getting their carbon frames repaired. I doubt if anyone is expecting the layup to be the same, they just want their frames to be rideable again and this is usually achievable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:32 pm 

My C59 is at Ruckus Composites in Portland, OR as we speak having the cracked chainstay repaired. I should have it back soonish. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out, but I'm certainly not expecting the cosmetic weave to be matching exactly. So long as it's structurally sound I'll be more than happy.

And yes, about the financial viability of a carbon repair. It's not cheap. So I'm hoping they do a good job. If it was a $500 generic frame, it would make sense just to get a new frame.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:39 pm 

Miller wrote:
I doubt if anyone is expecting the layup to be the same, they just want their frames to be rideable again and this is usually achievable.
Yes, as with anything there is a full spectrum of what can be done from a simply functional repair all the way through to "as good as new" and "indistinguishable from a new frame" and the price reflects that.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:39 pm