New build: Ritchey Swiss Cross

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LVGH

by LVGH

Recently I picked up a Ritchey Swiss Cross frameset that has never been built up before. I've been drooling over this frame for years, now I got my hands on one for reasonable money. I haven't been doing any offroading/CX since my BMC CX02 cracked at the HT/ST joint. Here's a pic of the frameset, I'm sure you all know it but a pic says more than words ;)

My BMC in better times:

So far I'm struggling how to build it up. I'd like to do it at reasonable weight and cost but doing justice to the beautiful frame. It's never going to be light and it just has to be a nice all-round comfortabel winter/touring bike for a flat area (I'm not a racer). Main considerations:
  • has to be 10sp groupset w/ BSA and cantilever brakes
  • new groupset?
  • Ritchey parts?
  • Red/white or black color scheme?

Groupset: possible to do 1x10?
I have a lot of wheelsets with 9/10speed freehubs for my road bikes and BMC, I used to have 3 dedicated for CX purposes (Mavics with Ultegra and DA 7700 hubs and different Challenge tires). So I'm kind of stuck with a 10 speed setup. However I really like the simplicity and looks of a single chainring setup such as the Sram Force CX01 groupset. I'd like to know does it work at all with 10 speed? If so what combination of parts is best suitable for this?

As far as gearing goes I can live with a 38T single ring and 12-27 or 12-30 cassette. My BMC was fitted with 105 5600 with Gossamer cross crankset and TRP Euro X brakes. The groupset is perfectly fine (used only about 2000km) but not light nor pretty. The TRP brakes' gold accents don't match the Ritchey so I'll probably go for some Shorty Ultimates.

Parts: Ritchey?
I've seen pictures of this frame with a red WCS seatpost that looked really cool. It seems to be difficult however to find this seatpost nowadays. I'm not too fond of white stems and bars but the frameset has very little black at all so I'm in doubt. One option is to use several Deda parts I have laying around, like a Superzero seatpost and Zero 100 handlebar. I'm not sure whether I should hunt for Ritchey parts or build it up with what I already have. I prefer white saddle and tape for looks on this frame but I also have a black saddle and tape option ready to mount as well.

Any thoughts, suggestions or pics of nicely built-up Swiss Cross bikes much appreciated :)

Marin

by Marin

I have a 1x10 Sram setup on my drop bar MTB that works quite well - I'm using a non-clutch X0 derailleur, Force levers and a cheap J&L narrow wide chainring. Works really well and no chain drops so far even on bumpier trails.

You won't really be able to avoid black components in some places, so black post & stem won't really clash. Would aliexpress carbon parts be an option?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

https://www.google.at/search?q=ritchey+ ... EQ_AUIBigB

Works well with many different color combos. Lovely frameset BTW, I have a Road Logic that I ride a lot.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I might be wrong here, but can't you run 11 speed Shimano MTB cassettes on 10 speed road free hubs?

Marin

by Marin

Yes you can but they're 11-42 and quite heavy.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

they also make an 11-40, so a few grams saved :thumbup:

LVGH

by LVGH

Thanks for the comments so far! I didn't know about Shimano's 11-speed cassettes being compatible with 9/10-speed freehubs. Do these cassettes work well together with Sram's CX1 / Force1 groups? Judging from this topic on another forum it does: http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/sram-cx1-11-speed-xtr-11x40-11-speed-cassette-946602.html

It seems there is an other option to choose from then! Although it won't be the cheapest, given the price of the 11-sp cassettes - as opposed to quite a few 10sp Shimano cassettes I have in my garage.. Also the 11-40 gearing is not really optimal for my flat terrain, I'm quite sensitive to cadence gaps.

I'm leaning towards building it up with my Deda parts and then see if I'm happy with the result. Can always switch to Ritchey later on.

silvalis

by silvalis

Yes, I'm running a XT 11-40T cassette with a Force1 groupset.

Alternatively, if you want 10s and already have 10s sram shifters I'm 99% sure you can throw on a sram cx1 clutch rd and a Sunrace 11-40 or 11-42T 10spd cassette. Or a 10/11s sram road RD with the appropriate 10s cassette. I used to run a 10s 11-36 cassette with a force22 medium cage/10s red shifters.
Chasse patate

RyanH

by RyanH

10s mtb clutch RDs are compatible with sram 10s shifters. Force 1 and Rival 1 are backwards compatible with 10s.

wingguy

by wingguy

LVGH wrote:Thanks for the comments so far! I didn't know about Shimano's 11-speed cassettes being compatible with 9/10-speed freehubs. Do these cassettes work well together with Sram's CX1 / Force1 groups? Judging from this topic on another forum it does: http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/sram-cx1-11-speed-xtr-11x40-11-speed-cassette-946602.html

If you wanted to stick with all SRAM the PG1130 cassette (range 11/42) from their NX group fits standard freehub bodies as well. The XT M8000 is lighter and cheaper though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LVGH

by LVGH

I finally took the time to start building up the frame. I will post pics and a complete build list with weights once I'm finished. I went for 10 speed in the end, combining a new Sram Force 1 crankset with a Wolf Tooth DM chainring, Force 1 type 3 derailleur and a pair of lightly used Red 10-speed shifters. Removed the left double tap lever and shift mechanism which saved a few grams.

I have an issue with the TRP Euro-X magnesium brakes. Once mounted tightly to the frame, the brakes are not 100% fixed in place, they can move back and forth a tiny on the brake mounts of the frame. Does anybody recognise this? Any solutions?