bike needed, gravel and cx - help please

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe a mountain bike would be more appropriate. Looking at the first pic, I'd rather have my full suspension Spec Camber.

mrgray wrote:and ajs914 yes we are on heavily rutted dirt roads. some sections no doubt are nicer than others. we are talking about stuff like this:

good and flat but lots of rocks

but then with ruts as shown here on image right. very little sand. clay and rocks seems to be what it is.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Not horizontal top tube, but most of the way there on the rest and titanium - Sonder Camino from Alpkit?
650b x 48 mm or 700c x 45 mm, F&F going to be about AUS$1750 posted.

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-ti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

It was mentioned before, so just want to reinforce. Waltly can build you exactly what you want, in Titanium for under a grand (without fork).

I recently built something similar, with slightly different set of requirements and they were able to accommodate everything. I started with the geo of a Niner RLT with some adjustments to be as close as possible to my road bike (in stack & reach), and they even made with a T47 bb. I will try to take a picture over the week.

drider85

by drider85

How close would the Diamondback Haanjo EXP be to what your looking for?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Point

by Point

Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

mrgray

by mrgray

ajs914 - what is the bob like when pedalling on the camber?

i didn't pick up on the waltly thing. i will look into this.

the Diamondback Haanjo EXP looks exactly like what i want except for BB and it is in carbon. but really, it is fantastic.

i had a look at the shand stoater and for some reason i got put off. was it tyre width? i think it was slightly narrow.

i am going to get actual photos of the terrain i am dealing with here in order to better inform my process. i really appreciate the suggestions from people.

i really enjoy this looking phase when one is learning alot and seeing new things. it is possible i do not want it to end.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

AJS914

by AJS914

Bob on the Camber is a non-issue to me. I don't notice it just riding along a trail. It's only really noticeable if you try to stand on a climb which doesn't work that well on FS mountain bikes anyway. I can also lock out the front fork or set it to Trail mode where it takes a larger hit to activate. My rear shock has similar settings that I never use.

On the first pic of the rocky trail, I'd rather have my mountain bike. I'm sure it would be way faster and more comfortable than my Crux.

nickl

by nickl

Have you seen Prova Cycles? Custom steel out of Canberra.

I had a look when he was down here in Adelaide, and I'm pretty tempted. Basically I'm looking at that or the Mason Bokeh (but I keep finding new options)

emotive

by emotive

Here's another option, the Rodeo Labs Flaanimal. I think it ticks all your boxes.

Frameset will be US$1200 to $1350 depending on paint, launching on Kickstarter this week, here's the back story http://www.rodeo-labs.com/2017/02/01/fl ... n-preview/

mrgray

by mrgray

thankyou for these excellent tips. prova looks great (and there is also bobo in canberra too). i really like the flanimal bike.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

well going thru it from the top i think i have made a decision.

first the setup
- want a bike for riding dirt roads at mum's place etc. maybe audax gravel rides too round sydney. maybe touring stuff
- bad back - must have shortish length saddle to bar and little to no drop
- serious rutted crappy roads

indications are that i am on cusp of needing suspension. my compromise is compliant frame, big wheels and wide tyres and managed pressure.

things i've seriously thought about
- yeti (sidetracked by awesome suspension on sb5)
- various small lot frame builders in usa and elsewhere including romanceur etc. (issue is 26 inch wheels, might need suspension if using these)
- surly ecr which is 29+ - put off by fact there dont seem to be many in the country (if any) plus anything else wheel wise and low BB becomes an issue with pedal strike apparently
- curve grovel 2 - brilliant but bettered by the GMX from curve i think (GMX will take a compact road crank which means i can use a power meter which is my druther)

seems to me the reach/stack is good on the medium at 386/621 (inclusive of headset) as long as i dont try and have a slammed neg stem like they do in the pictures.

can fit 74 mm wide 29ers which should do as a suspension mechanism.

now that i have quit my job i think i have the time for doing the riding. but now that i have quit my job i'm not sure i want to spend the 6k AUD or so i will need to in order to get this project going.

i think as a meantime solution i might try riding a hard tail mountain bike, maybe with front suspension, and see how the trails go. defining gthe condition of the roads i am interested in might make it easier to make an actual decision here.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

AJS914

by AJS914

Sounds like a good immediate solution. My first hardtail 29er was an aluminum Specialize Carve with XT $600. It was a fine bike for dipping my toe into 29ers and getting on the trails quickly.

mrgray

by mrgray

looking at 29er hard tails led to jones.

has anyone had a look at a jones 29 plus? seems like a decent setup and nice position for long days type thing.

also thanks for the tip andreLM re waltly but i guess issue is i'm still trying to work out what i would want so custom not much help as yet.

i'm thinking the 29+ tyre width takes care of suspension. love the odd looking fork too and reviews seem very positive.
Last edited by mrgray on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Point

by Point

I can't remember if anyone mentioned the Rodeo-Labs: Flaanimal? There's a new model being released.
It seems quite weighty but may be suitable for you?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i would probably go for the 3T Exploro. BSA BB. all types of wheels. thru axle. 2.1" tires with 650B wheels.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc