Cross Mechanical Disk on full carbon setup. Recomendations for Lightest Brakes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Which setup is your braking preference?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

No pads, but still my fav caliper (photo posted in another brake thread):
http://i.imgur.com/NPYvA9z.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Which rotors and pads are you using with your Juin Tech R1 calipers?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

kgbianchi wrote:Which rotors and pads are you using with your Juin Tech R1 calipers?

One of my fav pads is Marwi sintered, with the blue backing. JuinTech takes XT/Deore style pads.

Rotors on the bike with those calipers are KCNC steel Razor. (I won't use ti anymore, while it's great for alot of things, it's a poor material choice for rotors.)

Marin

by Marin

I'm using the pads that came with the Juins, and Deore rotors. Great combo.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Has anyone tried floating rotors? I've got the TRP Hy/RDs, and despite being self centering, I still get a lot of rubbing when I r&r my wheels - not as bad as BB7s. I do have the brakes adjusted to remove a lot of the play (against the instructions recommendations), but I strongly prefer it this way.

Would something like Hope Floating Rotor http://www.hopetech.com/product/disc-rotors/ design, which allow the rotor to move side to side on the rivets, make the world a significantly better place? Do they improve feel/modulation since the rotor doesn't distort as much under braking?

ms6073

by ms6073

jfranci3 wrote:Would something like Hope Floating Rotor http://www.hopetech.com/product/disc-rotors/ design, which allow the rotor to move side to side on the rivets, make the world a significantly better place?

What size? If you are in the US and need 160 mm, PM me and I will mail you a lightly used set to try out as I am curious to know.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Just did some more research. It seems these aren't automotive style floating rotors. These are really just 2-piece rotors, which allow the steel and aluminium metals to expand at their own rates. They don't seem to have any lateral freedom as the name implies.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

What are the recommended Brake cables and housing to be used with the Juin Tech caliper / Campagnolo 11 setup? Yokozuna, Jagwire or something else?

Marin

by Marin

My Gunsha-branded Juins came with Gunsha-Branded "compressionless" housing that has longitudinal strands and is quite stiff.

Works really well for me. Don't know who the manufacturer is, but I think Jagwire has somethiung similar.

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

kgbianchi wrote:What are the recommended Brake cables and housing to be used with the Juin Tech caliper / Campagnolo 11 setup? Yokozuna, Jagwire or something else?

I have Yokozunas with mine. Weird thing...the Yokozuna housing is so fat, that it doesn't fit into my Ultegra levers. Not sure it's the same issue with Campy. I ended up using some older Jagwire cables with a junction for under the bar tape that the Yokozunas fit into.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

I run the JuinTechs with Shimano DA 9000 mechanical shifters and originally used Shimano's top end road brake housing and cables but recently switched to Jagwire Elite Liink. The Shimano worked well but lacked modulation as the brake with either on or off and required a good bit of hand force for heavy braking where as the Jagwire offers a slight improvement with better modulation, a slight increase in lever throw, and less hand force for quick/emergency stops.
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Is this with Campy levers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

** Edited my last reply to include specific details.
- Michael

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

another vote for Yokozuna cables with these calipers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com