Cross Mechanical Disk on full carbon setup. Recomendations for Lightest Brakes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RoosterWheels

by RoosterWheels

I am building up my first cross bike, a full carbon frame and am planning to run as light weight components as I can get away with.

What mechanical disk calipers do you folks recomend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Ones that work are much better than worrying about saving a few extra grams. Super light would likely be the Paul Components Klamper. At 211g, I don't think you are going to get much lighter without going to ridiculous cost. TRP Spyre are about 50g heavier. Also, since you are running mechanical, look at carbon Nokon housing. Super stiff and a lot lighter. Jagwire makes linked housing that saves 30% over normal housing.

Marin

by Marin

I just got a set of Juin R1 Hydro mechanicals for my Monster Crosser / Dropbar MTB that are quite light and have been getting great reviews. Initial tests are promising.

ms6073

by ms6073

Second the vote for Juintech Mechanical-Hyrdos - under 180 grams per caliper, and work well with Jagwires Road Elite brake cables.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

If you're going mechanical, the Spyre are the best. dual sided pull works so much better than the single.

But, strongly consider hydro. I'm very lukewarm on the mechanical/hydro combo systems.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Is anyone using cable actuated Hydros/or mechanical brakes with Campagnolo Shift brake levers? I am wondering how the lever pull would affect function with the different options presented.

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

I've had Shimano cx77s, Juin Tech, and a TRP Parabox. Of the 3, the Shimanos are by far the lightest, and I really liked the braking action. I had to adjust them constantly as they are a one side moving caliper, but the action felt strong and consistent. The Juin Techs are good, but I actually preferred the shimano brakes. Parabox...Stay away. I was using current generation ultegra levers.

I also have shimano 785s...they are a totally different planet altogether.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

kgbianchi wrote:Is anyone using cable actuated Hydros/or mechanical brakes with Campagnolo Shift brake levers? I am wondering how the lever pull would affect function with the different options presented.

I am in the process of adapting TRP HY/RD flat mount calipers to Chorus 11 levers. The HY/RD calipers, just like the Spyre, have been designed around the newer, longer cable pull adopted by Shimano and SRAM. As a result, trying to use either caliper with a Campy lever results in no/little braking with the levers pulled all the way to the bars (perhaps better with 'ergo' style bars than classic round bend bars but I'm using the latter).

There is a hack for the HY/RD calipers where you cut a slot in the arm and route the cable through it closer to the pivot but it's a hack. There is no slot for the cable to sit in so the cable gets crushed. The cable also has no strain relieving bend to it any more. I wouldn't feel comfortable running my brakes that way.

My solution is an entire new arm with a proper cable clamp, strain relief, and pull ratio designed in. About a week ago I received my first working prototypes (I can post pics if interested). I'm going to refine the design slightly but the results are exactly as expected. Full power braking is available without bottoming out the levers and the brakes engage after a reasonable amount of lever travel. I feel it is slightly too much still (personal preference) hence why I'm going to make a further refinement.

The HY/RD calipers are not that light though, weighing in at 234 grams for the front with flat mount adapter and about the same for the rear when you include the 32mm long mounting bolts. But unlike some other options, it is possible to run a 140mm rear rotor offsetting some of the weight.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

joejack951 wrote:
kgbianchi wrote:Is anyone using cable actuated Hydros/or mechanical brakes with Campagnolo Shift brake levers? I am wondering how the lever pull would affect function with the different options presented.

I am in the process of adapting TRP HY/RD flat mount calipers to Chorus 11 levers. The HY/RD calipers, just like the Spyre, have been designed around the newer, longer cable pull adopted by Shimano and SRAM. As a result, trying to use either caliper with a Campy lever results in no/little braking with the levers pulled all the way to the bars (perhaps better with 'ergo' style bars than classic round bend bars but I'm using the latter).

There is a hack for the HY/RD calipers where you cut a slot in the arm and route the cable through it closer to the pivot but it's a hack. There is no slot for the cable to sit in so the cable gets crushed. The cable also has no strain relieving bend to it any more. I wouldn't feel comfortable running my brakes that way.

My solution is an entire new arm with a proper cable clamp, strain relief, and pull ratio designed in. About a week ago I received my first working prototypes (I can post pics if interested). I'm going to refine the design slightly but the results are exactly as expected. Full power braking is available without bottoming out the levers and the brakes engage after a reasonable amount of lever travel. I feel it is slightly too much still (personal preference) hence why I'm going to make a further refinement.

The HY/RD calipers are not that light though, weighing in at 234 grams for the front with flat mount adapter and about the same for the rear when you include the 32mm long mounting bolts. But unlike some other options, it is possible to run a 140mm rear rotor offsetting some of the weight.

Please send pictures and CAD if you can!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

I can do one better than CAD, assuming you already have or plan to buy HY/RD calipers and use them with Campy levers. I have 4 extra sets of these silver arms that I'm willing to send to anyone who is willing to test them out for me. I plan some small refinements, and to anodize them black for the next round but these arms seem to do the trick for me. I want some more feedback before I go making any more.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

That is awesome, thanks! What is the length that you are extending the arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

kgbianchi wrote:That is awesome, thanks! What is the length that you are extending the arm?

I actually plan to shorten it which will have the brakes engage slightly sooner. The original arm had the cable attachment point at 30mm from the pivot. I moved it in to 24mm. I think I'm going to move it to 22mm on the next version which should be perfect, but I want to ride this version first to be sure that's what I want. I also would like some additional feedback. Any takers on my offer?

jsgoldbe

by jsgoldbe

joejack951 wrote:
kgbianchi wrote:That is awesome, thanks! What is the length that you are extending the arm?

I actually plan to shorten it which will have the brakes engage slightly sooner. The original arm had the cable attachment point at 30mm from the pivot. I moved it in to 24mm. I think I'm going to move it to 22mm on the next version which should be perfect, but I want to ride this version first to be sure that's what I want. I also would like some additional feedback. Any takers on my offer?

I would love to try. Have Athena 11 with HY/RD calipers and can run the levers into the bar in a couple really muddy rides. Been relying on frequent pad changes to get by, but it's a drag (no pun intended). :?

Let me know how to connect with you.

-Jason

joejack951

by joejack951

jsgoldbe wrote:Let me know how to connect with you.

PM sent with my email address.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com