Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeroenfl

by jeroenfl

drider85, sounding all very good so far.

Did the frame come with the qr dropouts too or just TA?
Interested to hear on how it further compares to the superx in terms of handling, liveliness on accelleration and climbing and comfort. I love my 2012 di2 supersix and I'm now looking for a disc supersix like bike that will also take 27.5 offroad tyres. I reckon this wcb-r-125 might come close.

What year is your superx?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drider85

by drider85

This is how I have it built currently. I apologize for it uncouth appearance. I was far to excited to ride it before finishing it.

It appears they can make/mold the frame for QR or TA no ability to go back and forth.

The bikes that I have own to compare this to are a 2016 Super X (44) and a CAAD10 (50). Disclaimer: I think sometimes handling characteristics are size dependent. This bike is in a far different category than CAAD, Super X and Super six's have ridden. Those bike are happiest when raced, pushed and railed in to corners. They all are generally snappy, lively and closer to nervous. They beg to be pushed a little harder or faster and would rather go around the rough then through. Although the Super X had good large bump absorption in the rear.

This bike is quite the opposite. It is asking you to ride a little longer to find rougher road you may normally avoid. Find a dirt road, side road, rough road, two track or even the occasional single track (single track is a theory I still need to confirm). The bike felt planted and wanted to ride straight through the rough. The vibration dampening/ride feel was closer to muted compared to the lively feel of the others. I have had similar conclusions comparing some high end name brand carbon mountain bikes to there open mold alternatives. Although it is difficult to pin ride quality with tire size being so different. It felt good going up hill. If felt planted as always and stiff going up hill with very little sense springiness or snap like a Super or CAAD.

LouisN

by LouisN

Pretty "old school" but still nice light CX frames/bikes.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141283

Louis :)

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

drider85 wrote:This is how I have it built currently. I apologize for it uncouth appearance. I was far to excited to ride it before finishing it.

It appears they can make/mold the frame for QR or TA no ability to go back and forth.

The bikes that I have own to compare this to are a 2016 Super X (44) and a CAAD10 (50). Disclaimer: I think sometimes handling characteristics are size dependent. This bike is in a far different category than CAAD, Super X and Super six's have ridden. Those bike are happiest when raced, pushed and railed in to corners. They all are generally snappy, lively and closer to nervous. They beg to be pushed a little harder or faster and would rather go around the rough then through. Although the Super X had good large bump absorption in the rear.

This bike is quite the opposite. It is asking you to ride a little longer to find rougher road you may normally avoid. Find a dirt road, side road, rough road, two track or even the occasional single track (single track is a theory I still need to confirm). The bike felt planted and wanted to ride straight through the rough. The vibration dampening/ride feel was closer to muted compared to the lively feel of the others. I have had similar conclusions comparing some high end name brand carbon mountain bikes to there open mold alternatives. Although it is difficult to pin ride quality with tire size being so different. It felt good going up hill. If felt planted as always and stiff going up hill with very little sense springiness or snap like a Super or CAAD.

Do you have any pics of the non-drive side? Also did you figure out the axel standard? I bought one of these and I'm trying to get a few remaining parts together before the frame arrives.

synthesis

by synthesis

Crap pic of my Avenger/Hongfu HF-FM028

drider85

by drider85

I thinking it is the steed of choice for my SS gravel race. Here it is in its current setup with some WTB Horizons 47

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

synthesis wrote:Crap pic of my Avenger/Hongfu HF-FM028

Can you post a link to that frame?

Can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

synthesis

by synthesis

Sorry been a bit busy pre season with assembling Team bikes. Here is a link, not from Hongfu though, they seem not to have updated their page with it yet

http://www.onlinecyclingexperts.com/201 ... fm028.html

Notice that the BB is BB386 not BB86

Frame weight in 54cm is 1034g
Fork 430g

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

I ordered a Workswell WCB-R-125 and received it today. I'm planning to build it up with SRAM 1x stuff. I've already purchased Rival hydraulic shifters/levers/discs and a Force 1 crankset. I wasn't expecting to get it so soon after I ordered it (less than 2 weeks) so I've still got to figure out what parts I want for the wheel build and grab a few other bits.

I thought it was interesting that they added a metal chainstay protector.

shawnriffhard

by shawnriffhard

dustinmeyer wrote:I ordered a Workswell WCB-R-125 and

Any updates? Would love to hear your review.

TonyM

by TonyM

dustinmeyer wrote:I ordered a Workswell WCB-R-125 and received it today. I'm planning to build it up with SRAM 1x stuff. I've already purchased Rival hydraulic shifters/levers/discs and a Force 1 crankset. I wasn't expecting to get it so soon after I ordered it (less than 2 weeks) so I've still got to figure out what parts I want for the wheel build and grab a few other bits.

Which fork are you going to use?

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

I wasn't expecting to receive the frame so quickly so I hadn't ordered all of the parts for the build by the time it arrived. It only took 13 days from the order date to arrive. That's pretty impressive since my Workswell 066 took about 30 days to get here when I ordered it last year.

Anyway, I have all of the parts now and finished building the wheels and setting them up tubeless over the weekend. I hope to route the cables and such tomorrow. I'm using the stock fork and the following components:

Stan's Grail Rims (24/28)
Sapim CX-Rays
Novatec R135-11/D771SB Hubs
38mm Specialized Trigger Pros (set up tubeless)
160mm SRAM Rotors
SRAM Force 1 Crankset (Swapped the chainring for a 44)
SRAM Rival 1/22 Shifters
SRAM Rival 1 Rear Derailleur
SRAM XG-1150 Cassette (10-42)
SRAM PC1170 Chain
Time ATAC XC8 Pedals
3T Ergonova Pro Bars (edited: thought I had ordered the Aeronova bars)
Kalloy Uno Stem
Fizik Bar Gel
Fizik Performance Bar Tape
Fabric Scoop Shallow Saddle
Arundel Sideloader/OtherSideLoader Bottle Cages

This is my first build with hydraulic disc brakes so it should be interesting. The levers came out of the box with the calipers already attached and filled with fluid so I assume that I need to take them apart and drain the fluid so I can route the cables internally.
Last edited by dustinmeyer on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldmac

by oldmac

My Workswellbikes WCB-C-112 frame

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

oldmac wrote:My Workswellbikes WCB-C-112 frame

Looks good!

A few questions:
- Which size is it ? 49?
- Which size of tires do you have on it?
- What camera or light in the front do you have ?
- Which wheels do you have?