Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Dustin, let us know how the routing with the hydro hose go with the alloy aeronova bars! I had them too and mine was a PITA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

ihs0yz wrote:Dustin, let us know how the routing with the hydro hose go with the alloy aeronova bars! I had them too and mine was a PITA.

I just realized that I misspoke - I actually bought the ergonova bars. Hopefully the routing won't be an issue.

My biggest issue right now is that I thought the calipers that I ordered were flat mount, but they actually ended up being post mount. I looked around and found some adapters online, but they only seem to accommodate 140mm rotors in the front. Does anyone know of an adapter that would allow me to run 160mm rotors? Or am I just better off buying some flat mount calipers and selling off the post mount ones?

oldmac

by oldmac

TonyM wrote:
oldmac wrote:My Workswellbikes WCB-C-112 frame

Looks good!

A few questions:
- Which size is it ? 49?
- Which size of tires do you have on it?
- What camera or light in the front do you have ?
- Which wheels do you have?

Size 49
Tire is Panaracer CG CX
It‘s Shimano CM-1000 camera
Wheels are bought form local bike shop,Xiamen carbon rim and Chosen CX Hub.

MikeD

by MikeD

Anyone know of an open mould frame and fork that takes 700x45 tires and has canti brake mounts?

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

The build is finally finished. I took it out for a quick spin last night and it feels really good. I need to make a tweak to the rear derailleur because it was not running as smoothly as it should in the largest cog. I'm going to make an adjustment to the saddle position and take it out for a group ride tonight. I haven't had a chance to take proper photos, so this will have to do for now.

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

Finalized my build for now...

Weight: roughly 18lbs
Frame: Workswell WCB-R-125 Small
Wheels: Stans Crest rims, DT Swiss Revolution spokes, I9 Road hubs
Tires: Compass Barlow Pass 38mm x 700c
Shifters: SRAM Red Hydro
Brakes: SRAM Red Disc Post Mount with TRP adaptors
Rotors: SRAM Centerline 160
Front Derailleur: SRAM Rival
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Rival WiFli
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-32
Crank: SRAM Force 50/34
Power Meter: Stage Carbon for SRAM
Pedals: Speedplay Zero with J/L TI spindle
Computer Mount: Form Mount
Computer: Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
Saddle: Specialized Romin Evo Pro 143

askeAnker

by askeAnker

Being in the pricy end of direct Chinese frame sets. How do you find the general build quality? If you have anything to compare with, would you say it's better than other direct Chinese frames? And the ride quality?
I've had my eyes on this frame and don't mind the price, if the build quality follows.
Carbonda seems like a good manufacturer and I'm pretty sure this frame is their own. Have not seen it anywhere else.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

edwinx

by edwinx

dustinmeyer wrote:I wasn't expecting to receive the frame so quickly so I hadn't ordered all of the parts for the build by the time it arrived. It only took 13 days from the order date to arrive. That's pretty impressive since my Workswell 066 took about 30 days to get here when I ordered it last year.

Anyway, I have all of the parts now and finished building the wheels and setting them up tubeless over the weekend. I hope to route the cables and such tomorrow. I'm using the stock fork and the following components:

Stan's Grail Rims (24/28)
Sapim CX-Rays
Novatec R135-11/D771SB Hubs
38mm Specialized Trigger Pros (set up tubeless)
160mm SRAM Rotors
SRAM Force 1 Crankset (Swapped the chainring for a 44)
SRAM Rival 1/22 Shifters
SRAM Rival 1 Rear Derailleur
SRAM XG-1150 Cassette (10-42)
SRAM PC1170 Chain
Time ATAC XC8 Pedals
3T Ergonova Pro Bars (edited: thought I had ordered the Aeronova bars)
Kalloy Uno Stem
Fizik Bar Gel
Fizik Performance Bar Tape
Fabric Scoop Shallow Saddle
Arundel Sideloader/OtherSideLoader Bottle Cages

This is my first build with hydraulic disc brakes so it should be interesting. The levers came out of the box with the calipers already attached and filled with fluid so I assume that I need to take them apart and drain the fluid so I can route the cables internally.

hey, hows the ride? any initial reviews?

edwinx

by edwinx

Hi,

I want to get one of these Chinese Open Mold frames and run road bike groupset on it. I will mainly be riding on the road but once a while would be on dirt road/cobble stone/gravel type roads. No mud, no competition, just slightly "off road". Would there be any issues using a road groupset on a Gravel frame?

Thanks,

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

edwinx wrote:hey, hows the ride? any initial reviews?

I've got about 400 miles on it now (including some rough terrain at the DK200) and the bike has been absolutely superb. The frame really smooths out rough roads compared to my aluminum Crux with the same tire setup. It feels really stable on rough roads and in corners. The power feels like it transfers well through the 1x drivetrain. I wouldn't change anything about my setup at this point, although I do have a little bit of gear lust when I look at all of the guys riding around with Lauf Grit forks. For now, I'm not changing anything though.

edwinx

by edwinx

dustinmeyer wrote:

I've got about 400 miles on it now (including some rough terrain at the DK200) and the bike has been absolutely superb. The frame really smooths out rough roads compared to my aluminum Crux with the same tire setup. It feels really stable on rough roads and in corners. The power feels like it transfers well through the 1x drivetrain. I wouldn't change anything about my setup at this point, although I do have a little bit of gear lust when I look at all of the guys riding around with Lauf Grit forks. For now, I'm not changing anything though.

hey thanks for the review.

Thats great, sounds like a blast to ride. I am looking at dinging something similar. Carbonda frame + SRAM 1x (but unsure which size) with hydro. (the whole groupset).

are your gears road gears?

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

edwinx wrote:
dustinmeyer wrote:

hey thanks for the review.

Thats great, sounds like a blast to ride. I am looking at dinging something similar. Carbonda frame + SRAM 1x (but unsure which size) with hydro. (the whole groupset).

are your gears road gears?

I'm running a 44t chainring and a 10-42 cassette. According to the online gearing calculator that I used, I actually have a wider range of gears than my previous 36/46t chainring and 11-28 cassette. The jumps are bigger between gears, but that really hasn't bothered me.

askeAnker

by askeAnker

Just received my CFR505 from Carbonda. After initial expection it looks very good. It's not my first open mould cross/gravel bike but this by far surpasses the other ones in terms of finish and (initial) quality. The price is also a notch higher, but so far it seems to be worth the extra cost. Will post more detaails when the build is done.Image

edwinx

by edwinx

askeAnker wrote:Just received my CFR505 from Carbonda. After initial expection it looks very good. It's not my first open mould cross/gravel bike but this by far surpasses the other ones in terms of finish and (initial) quality. The price is also a notch higher, but so far it seems to be worth the extra cost. Will post more detaails when the build is done.Image

What is your part list this frame?

askeAnker

by askeAnker

edwinx wrote:
askeAnker wrote:Just received my CFR505 from Carbonda. After initial expection it looks very good. It's not my first open mould cross/gravel bike but this by far surpasses the other ones in terms of finish and (initial) quality. The price is also a notch higher, but so far it seems to be worth the extra cost. Will post more detaails when the build is done.Image

What is your part list this frame?

What came along with the order? Frame, fork, seat post, thru axles (not in picture) and frame accessories. They could provide headset as well for additional 12 dollars, but I already have one that fits.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com