Cross capable bike with road race geometry?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

GMF

by GMF

I am contemplating going n-1 bikes. I have a pretty nice Argon18 Gallium pro that I enjoy riding on road the majority of the year. I also have a somewhat hooptie cross bike I enjoy racing a handful of times a winter, but largely stays in the bike closet.

So I'm looking around to see if there is a road bike that can just barely fit some 35c tires (our local cross races are dry, sandy events), and still have the quicker and high speed handling of a road bike. Things like a 72.5-73 head tube angle, 69-70 by drop, shorter than average chainstays (410-415cm), and while I like rim brakes just fine, im guessing disks are the only real way of doing this and still look like a road bike. The gravel/adventure bikes out there are too dirt oriented/slow steering and I'd like something more playful.

Honestly not too fussed about frame material. Carbon is cool, aluminum is OK if not too harsh, and modern steel looks awesome (as long as it doesn't weigh a ton - currently on a 15lb road bike)

Too much to ask of one bike?

Thanks for any ideas,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

savechief

by savechief

Check out the 3T Exploro.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

stoney

by stoney

Check out the 2017 Specialized Crux. I supposedly has Tarmac inspired geometry. I'd go with the carbon frameset with 142x12 thru-axle rear then invest in a dedicated road wheelset and a cross wheelset with 140mm disc rotors on the rear.

rothwem

by rothwem

I think that the tightest you're going to get for chainstays on a cx bike is about 425, and that's due to the size of the tire.

Look at the CruX, the Major Jake and the Stigmata, they're all pretty snappy handling bikes. I haven't ridden the Niner BSB, but the geometry looks pretty good on that bike too.

LeePaton

by LeePaton

If pros can use cross bikes at Paris Roubaix you certainly wont be held back by one!

If you dont want to go discs TRP CX9s are awesomely powerful.

GMF

by GMF

Thanks for the suggestions. I am certainly a believer that a cross bike can be plenty quick - in fact, up until a couple years ago, those were my "road bikes". I got my first proper road bike a couple years ago and will admit it suits my typical riding a bit better (I like the lower bottom bracket, etc). This was pre-disc revolution which I am slightly reluctant to get into, so just checking out the current state of technology today. I have enjoyed my Argon18 on the road immensely and want to stay closer to that geometry space, but it is hard to find that with clearance for knobbies.

Out of the bikes suggested, the stigmata would be near the top of my list and is worth taking for a test ride. I actually live about 50-60 miles south of them so it makes sense that they would make a bike suited to my terrain.

On a side note - a road discs sufficiently sorted out yet? I don't like all these axle standards, brake mount standards, etc.

boots2000

by boots2000

A Specialized Crux or Scott Addict CX10.
Both are cross bikes.
Both are about rocketships on the road.
Neither will hold you back.
I find myself riding my Scott with road tires more than my road bike.
I have a 2nd set of Wheels- Hed Ardennes SL with Conti GP4000 II 700x28mm tires. I love this combo on the road.

stoney

by stoney

Yes the Scott Addict CX10...I forgot about that CX bike when I recommended the CruX. 142x12 is the agreed upon standard now for the rear and get flat mount disc brakes. If using on the road I'd go with 160mm rotors for the front and 140mm rotors for the rear.

rothwem

by rothwem

So I was checking this thing out today:

Its an Open Cycles "UP" frame, founded by a Cervelo guy. There's a lot of clever engineering going on, but best of all, the geometry looks pretty tight and awesome. I wouldn't mind one of these at all, but the frame is a bit pricier than I can afford at the moment.

The large has a 420mm chainstay, 72.5° HT, 70mm BB drop and a nice tight 1014mm wheelbase. It can fit a 40mm tire on a 700c rim, or a 56mm tire on a 27.5er rim.

https://www.opencycle.com/up

sslikesnake

by sslikesnake

Don't forget to check out the Specialized Diverge. Very snappy handling, but very fast on the road, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Crux geometry is very similar to the OpenUP. If you are keen on the used market, the Crux sells relatively cheap. I picked up my like new 2015 S-Works Crux for a song.

boots2000

by boots2000

Agreed-
Problem with the UP is gearing- can't put larger than 34/50 on it. May not matter to some, matters much to others.
Also- front end stack on the UP is as low as aggressive road bikes- like a Tarmac or H1 Trek. Could be an advantage for some- deal breaker for others.
I have seen my share of Open UP's with 4cm of spacers under the stem.
Diverge? I kind of don't get that bike- Why not have more clearance than that? I would take a Crux over a Diverge any day-
Diverge handles like a Roubaix- not like a Crux.

AJS914 wrote:Crux geometry is very similar to the OpenUP. If you are keen on the used market, the Crux sells relatively cheap. I picked up my like new 2015 S-Works Crux for a song.

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

Also look at the Parlee Chebacco

Twitter: @alphadogcycling
Instagram: @alphadogcycling

F45

by F45

I'm using a 2012 BH RX1 in this capacity. It's rim brake, so I put mini-v brakes on it. 42.5cm chainstay, 60mm bb drop, 73 degree ht. It works.

Switching between road and cross, you'll probably need to change the stem for bar height reasons. But other than that it's perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Had/ have same idea as OP. Replaced Cx & road bike by one capable to do both. Found nice deal, so my N=1 bike is Pinarello FCX Hydro T2.
65mm Bb drop, 420 chainstays. Bit to high on front but I compensate it by 120/-17* stem. In comparison to both / road& cx canti / I lost on weight ( +400g to cx ... disc brakes :/ and that includes heavier wheels ) and 700g to road bike ( heavier frame & disc brakes ).

Only issue is handlebar width. On road I like 42, on gravel roads 44... Now have 44 and feels to wide for road; but having 1 bike for both means compromises.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)