Experience with Salsa Warbird/ Giant TCX / Trek Boone?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sethjs

by sethjs

Hi All - I've been toying with getting a bike mostly for riding on local gravel / fire road / trails. Marin Headlands and Mt Tam for those who now the SF Bay Area.

I've mostly been looking at the Warbird, TCX and Boone. Have also contemplated the Fezzari Shafer (reach is really short though).

Anyone have experience with any of these? I'm coming from lightweight road bikes, so looking for light weight. Decent handling, recognizing more stability for off road is a good thing. Discs. Reasonable levels of comfort (so ISOSpeed's attractive). Ideally clearance up to a 40mm tire.

Any other recommendations, I'm all ears. Fit wise, I can make most of these work.

Thanks!

stoney

by stoney

I love my TCX Advanced Pro frameset. I'm running a 45mm tire, Renegade 1.8, in the front and a 40mm tire, Maxxis Rambler, in the rear with plenty of clearance to spare...no tire rub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

You don't find the front end too jarring with a 1.5" taper at the bottom of the headset?

stoney

by stoney

sethjs wrote:You don't find the front end too jarring with a 1.5" taper at the bottom of the headset?

Not really, but I'm running a big tire on the front so that helps.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

40mm tires and proper pressure shouldn't make any frame jarring

grover

by grover

I have no experience with the Warbird.

Boone/TCX both great. The decision maker for me would be evolution of frameset. In which case the TCX is 12mm front and rear thru axle and flat mount discs. That looks like being the 'standard' for most over the next few years.

If you don't care about that then the Boone is fantastic and given there's meant to be a new version over the next year you might get one cheap.

Alternatives? The new Cannondale SuperX? I went from Boone to old SuperX to new SuperX. Honestly the Boone was no more comfortable than even the old SuperX (6 year old frame design). The Boone was very stable. For me, too stable to the point that it inhibited my ability to get the front wheel off the ground. The SuperX is stable enough but more nimble/playful at the same time.

baldy88

by baldy88

I just bought a 2017 carbon Warbird Rival. I am coming from a SuperX with v-brakes that I have had for 6 years. Loved the SuperX but hated the brakes.

I have been waiting for years for a do it all bike (for me). The Warbird fit the bill. I like long gravel races and in order to train for them I commute to work. I needed a couple sets of wheels. One set for gravel and one set for road/commuting since my commute is all asphalt and 25 mile round trip. Disc brakes were the obvious choice to make it happen. It comes with 100x15mm front thru axle. 142x12mm rear thru axle.

Stock the Warbird was 9.29 kilos 20.5 pounds. Not horrible for a durable rig. I upgraded the crank to a SRAM Red 50-34. Two new sets of Hed Ardennes+ LT wheels with XT rotors and Ultegra cassettes 11-32 running tubeless road and gravel tires. Thomson seat post. Shimano A600 pedals. Brooks C17 saddle (Heavy but comfy). Everything else stock. With saddle, water bottle cages and pedals it weighs in at: 8.5 kilos 18.75 pounds. Ready to ride with computer, tool roll and such it is right around 20 pounds. I'm completely happy with the weight.

I have about 500 miles on the rig and it is just what I was looking for. Stiff and responsive on climbs. Low BB and longer wheelbase so it's stable in the rough. The rear stays really smooth out the ride on rough gravel. It will take up to 44mm tires. Obviously it isn't a superlight road bike, but I don't race road and it will hold its own on long road training rides with skinny tires. I do notice that I don't "feel" like I am going that fast on the road because it absorbs so much road chatter. I have to check the computer to confirm speed. It's really in its element with 35+mm tubeless tires on gravel. Just a fun, comfortable, and versatile bike for me. Being able to swap wheels with no brake adjustment required is really awesome.

I shopped around a bunch before buying and the only other bike I was interested in was the Santa Cruz Stigmata. I didn't find any great deals on one so I went with the Warbird.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

That Fezzari frameset looks and is almost a carbon copy of the On-One Bish Bash Bosh, in the geo.
Curve Grovel ti.