CX Tyre Choices

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

I've finally ordered a CX bike and pick it up next week. I ended up going for the Giant TCX SLR 2. I'm just not sure which tubeless tyres I should go for. The shop recommended the SOMA Cazadero 42mm, but I'm not sure if that's overkill for what sort of rides I'll be doing. I mentioned to a friend the shop is going to set it up with 42mm tyres and he said go for 32mm as they won't be quite as slow or cumbersome on longer rides. I envision myself doing mainly long gravel / dirt rides of 100km+. The Schwalbe G-One looks quite good, the narrowest version is the 35mm, also Challenge Gravel Grinder 33mm but I read they can't be run tubeless.
Any input would be greatly appreciated :)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm really happy with the Clement Xplor MSO tires. I'm running 40mm but I'm not trying to go particularly fast. I'm riding a mix of pavement, gravel, and singletrack. In retrospect I would probably have been just as happy with the 36mm version.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Yes I think the Clement Xplor MSO tyres would be my first choice if I went narrower, followed by the Panaracer Gravel King SK.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

grover

by grover

Maxxis Rambler, Clement Xplor MSO, Schwalbe G-One would be my choices.

~40mm is good. With a fast tread pattern (any of the above) you won't notice the wider options being slow. What you will notice is more air volume. Which means lower pressures without rim strikes, more grip and greater comfort.

The G-One is probably the best match. I chose the Rambler as I see it as a more durable tyre. I've had much more reliability with Maxxis EXO sidewall tyres than Schwalbe on the mountain bike.

thprice

by thprice

Continental Cyclocross Speed and Maxxis Rambler

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

For general dirt riding I like a faster tire so have run Vittoria XN (kinda small) Continental Cyclocross Speeds(pain in the ass to set up tubeless) and recently Maxxis Rambler EXO 38's and Refuse 35's. The Rambler is a wacky good tire. Light, wide, fast and tough. The Refuse has no tread but is actually pretty cool too. I've used it for rides/races that have 50% or more asphalt and they work fantastic, actually quite good in the dirt.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Thanks for the replies everyone. They didn't have my size in the 2017 TCX SLR 2 so they offered me the 2016 TCX Advanced Pro 2 for $300 more. Done deal! I decided to set the bike up initally with the Clement Xplor MSO 40 to test them out. The shop advised I can change to the SOMA Cazadero if I'm not happy or want to compare. Now to find some dirt :-)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com