New To Gravel/Cycle Touring - Rough Criteria Help Required

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Point

by Point

I'll start by saying, I've had a good look through some of the older posts and gathered some really helpful information, however there are a few things that I'm not certain about.

Basically I'm after a comfortable all day gravel grinder for riding fire roads/single track/road.
Is there anything I should avoid or specifically look for?

This is my rough criteria sheet at the moment, any advice on changes would be great.

Frame:
Alu
Mudguard/rack eyelets (preferred)
Internal cable routing (preferred)
Tapered headtube (preferred)

BB - Would threaded be best if cycle touring? Presumably it'd be easier to replace? Would pressfit be best avoided (i.e Giant TCX?)
Seatpost - Would non proprietary be best? (Best to avoid TCX or would this really not be too much of a problem? I mean, how often do seatposts fail?)

Forks
Carbon fork - Internal routing (preferred)
Axle size - QR most suitable for ease of replacing? Avoid Thru-axles (12mm? 15mm? (TCX) )

Thank you in advance for any input and advice.
I've browsed Ticlimax's post and read some very helpful things in there. I think most of this post is to clear up whether a TCX would be suitable for light touring (saddle bag/bar bag/maybe frame bag) or whether something like the mango might be better, allbeit heavier?)

Thank you.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

It's hard to say without knowing what type of touring you intend to do. If you are talking about light touring as described at the end, then I would recommend:
Disc Brake
Fender capable
Threaded BB

Regarding most of your other options, my initial reaction for light touring is I would go with a carbon fork and TA (12mm front and rear). That's what I have on my current bike for this purpose. The difference is mine is steel rather than aluminum but I wouldn't hesitate for either material. I wouldn't let the proprietary seatpost be a deal breaker if everything else works. If you have the option, I wouldn't go proprietary just because I like to have options versus being locked in.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Point

by Point

Thank you for your response Tamu8104, that clears up a few things.

Realistically the ratio of use will be 80% CX/Gravel Riding 20% Bikepacking (so bar/saddle bags). So realistically i'd be looking at a more relaxed geo compared to CX bikes but not as relaxed as some of the purpose designed load bearing touring/gravel bikes.

I'm the same as you with regards to proprietary, which is what's unfortunately putting me off the TCX's, well that and the press fit bb's.

Do you have any suggestions for bikes/framesets that meet your recommended specs?

The more affordable the better (unfortunately).
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

AdyM

by AdyM

I have a merida CX bike and it would fit the bill perfectly for you. Alu frame, 105 groupset, tapered carbon fork w/carbon steerer, threaded bb, eyelets for fenders, discs, nothing proprietary whatsoever. Bought mine for £750, a few upgrades and it's down under 9kg for a large frame. Couldn't recommend it enough! it's been bombproof.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I bought a TCX for the same reason. I have to say it does the job well. The fork doesn't really have eyelets but a handlebar-bag will sort that for you. I made one out of a photography bag.

As for the seatpost. It does a nice job at damping but wider tyres will always do more. I suggest to have a look wat what the other frames you like can fit in terms of width. The TCX' tyre clearance is good.

As for the BB, the best have always been inboard bearings. I think that with an adaptor set these can be used if you want. I run the standard FSA on mine and they have been good.
Ride it like you stole it

Point

by Point

Tomstr wrote:I bought a TCX for the same reason. I have to say it does the job well. The fork doesn't really have eyelets but a handlebar-bag will sort that for you. I made one out of a photography bag...

Thank you for your response! Any chance you'd be willing to share your makeshift bar-bag? I'd be interested in seeing that.

I think you've persuaded me to get a TCX
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Sure, I'll try and make some pics tomorrow. (Y)

[edit]

Let's see if this works. It basically is a Kata bag with a KlickFix attached to it. It's a good standard that has lots of parts available. The reason I went for a photobag is that they have some padding in case of crashes and usually come with a raincover. They're also a lot cheaper than purpose built photobags for cyclists. I went for Kata as they're cheap at the moment and fulfills all needs. It will take a 5D mkIII, 2 lenses, a flash and some small equipment. Together with a seatpost bag it's good for short travels with photogear.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomaz-365/ ... 638183524/

Be sure to buy a mounting kit that has the mounting for oversized bars instead of the standard kit. (ask me how I know) I taped the inside of the mounts with a strip of ducttape for extra grip on the Ritchey bars. It's also mounted a bit tilted up because photo equipment can be heavy. The MIO holder still has to find a nice place, it'll probably be the stem.

Then get a plate to put in the bag itself and mount the mount to. I went for polycarbonate as it's light and strong. Cut the size of the bag with a dremel and be sure to take the whole inside width and height for stiffness. Weight is not really a concern in this case although you could easily make something light. Next you cut or drill the holes in the plate. I went as low as possible for stability reasons. It can still fit a light under the bag.

Next you make holes in the fabric, a pair of scissors will do but something hot is better for the fabric I think. Put the KlickFix plate against it and start bolting it up.

Then mount it and ride it (like you stole it ;)).
As for my TCX, it has the standard brakes but Hutchinson Black Mamba tyres. Continental Cyclocross Speed also work well. I'm looking for a light set of wheels as these are HEAVY but do the job well and don't look too bad. The setup with the bag isn't really for technical courses so up to speed it works well. When riding without bag I leave the KlickFix on the handlebar as it's not really heavy or in the way.
Ride it like you stole it

Point

by Point

Thank you Tomstr ! Some seriously helpful information here, more so as I'm also a 5d iii owner so that's interesting to see you're riding with that on your bars. Thank you for making the effort to write all of that and include some photos! Much appreciated.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

jemima

by jemima

External cables, but the Sonder Camino Al could be worth a look.

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/son ... e-and-fork
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com