Downgrading to mechanical discs, what should I go with?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Agreed. My currently-preferred pad compound is Trickstuff, but there are alot of choices - I think these pads are XT shaped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

Running HY/RD for a while myself, two seasons. They have been working very well. What were the cons you were told about?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I heard they need adjusted frequently, power isn't great, and they are a bit on the heavy side.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Well after claiming earlier that we don't freeze, last week we got snow & ice down to sea level.
My 3 hour test with Juin Techs in the snow was flawless, same great performance.

Real world, I put the Juin/Yokozuna design right at half way between mechanical (Spyre being the best mechanical) and full hydro in terms of available braking power.

spookyload

by spookyload

Just get some road BB7. You are overthinking it. The idea is to go fast, and brakes are only a last resort anyways (just kidding). To me, mechanical is mechanical. I could only tell the difference between my BB7 and Spyre in the housing I used. That makes more difference than the brake design itself. I am on Shimano Hydros now and they are way nicer.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I need to just order those Juin Tech brakes. I have everything else, I've just been dragging my feet wanting to tear the bike apart. It's really pretty good as it sits with the 1x, and hydros, but the roadie in me wants more comfortable hoods, and tighter gear changes.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

Completely satisfied with HY/RD. Did switch to organic pads. I setup with compressionless brake cable housings. I think this is an IMPORTANT KEY for these brakes and most mechanical brakes.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

UpFromOne wrote:I've used Spyres since they came out, and tried about 8 different pad compounds.

Do you mind sharing what pad compounds and your experience with them? I'm pretty set on the Spyres but just would like to hear more from other users. What rotors are you on?

reippuert

by reippuert

Miller wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:I was initially planning to do the TRP Hy/Rd, because I heard they worked well and had hydro power with cable actuation. Then I started to hear bad things about this brake set by several people.

I have a pair of these and they're just fine especially if you swap the stock pads for something better. Mine are three years old now and working well.

With qualety compressionless cables HY/RD are exelent, yiu just have to reseat the pistons ever once in while. Using Campy chorus 10 speed levers i dint think Re inferior to the XT i have on my MTB. Dosing is very good and for road, trail usage power is mire than adequit.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

Tomstr

by Tomstr

ihs0yz wrote:
UpFromOne wrote:I've used Spyres since they came out, and tried about 8 different pad compounds.

Do you mind sharing what pad compounds and your experience with them? I'm pretty set on the Spyres but just would like to hear more from other users. What rotors are you on?

I'm very interested in this too! It would be great if you could share some experiences with pads and let us know what discs you are running for reference.

My Spyres are still running fine. I recently did a pad alignment to make sure the pads hit the disc at the exact same moment which added a lot of bite which I like. There can be a lot of added performance in this for an easy fix. I did it with a worklight under the brake to see the light between the pads and the disc. This is very easy to do and very worthwile.
Ride it like you stole it

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So since making this initial post, I rode the Diverge as it was, and eventually got rid of it. I replaced it with a Sequoia Expert that basically has the same parts drivetrain, SRAM CX1. I'm now going to build it as my gravel rig, and I found Juin Tech now makes F1 calipers to fit the new flat mount standard. They are on the way, and I will update when I get this all together. Thank you all for the advice. Sorry it took me so long to do anything.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I went with the new Juin Tech F1 flat mounts. They work great on my first ride with them. Really easy to setup, and really powerful. So happy to have mechanical hoods back.

citizend13

by citizend13

ProfessorChaos wrote:I went with the new Juin Tech F1 flat mounts. They work great on my first ride with them. Really easy to setup, and really powerful. So happy to have mechanical hoods back.

Got these as well since they were 20% off. looking forward to my first ride on them.

morganb

by morganb

ProfessorChaos wrote:I went with the new Juin Tech F1 flat mounts. They work great on my first ride with them. Really easy to setup, and really powerful. So happy to have mechanical hoods back.

What housing did you use?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Hello,
Any experience with mechanical disc and Link housing ? Like Jagwire Elite Link or I-link ?

For pad compounds, I switched from original TRP Spyre to SwissStop 15E (semi metallic), good improvement.