Carbon fiber cyclo-cross fork recommendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

danwerle1972

by danwerle1972

Hi,

I'm planning a new bike build, and am looking for a carbon fiber cyclo-cross fork with a fender mount and clearance for 35 mm knobbies (without a fender installed), flat mount brake-compatible, 12 mm thru axle-compatible, 140 mm disc-compatible, 47 mm rake, and a tapered steerer.

I've looked at the following:

Enve
Columbus (Futura Gravel set to arrive next spring)
Niner
Whisky
TRP
3T
Parlee
Lynskey
Ritchey
Easton
Kona
Wound Up

Right now, the forthcoming Columbus Futura Gravel fork looks the most promising. The bike will be a cyclo-cross-specific build, so the clearance for larger (45-50 mm) tires won't be needed. I'm happy to consider 160 mm brakes and a 15 mm thru-axle if needed; however, particularly since this is Weight Weenies, I don't know if those really are for my purposes.

Where the issue gets a little sticky is that I'd really like to buy a fork manufactured outside of Vietnam, Taiwan, or China. I don't mind supporting the people who manufacture, box, and ship the forks; but I'm uneasy about paying companies $400-$750 for a fork they designed, knowing that a fraction of that cost is going to the workers making and shipping them. Aside from Wound Up, none of these forks are made outside of the three aforementioned countries.

I'm considered steel custom; however, mated with a 44 mm headtube on a ti 'cross bike, I don't think that's a great option either.

Are there any other companies out there making carbon 'cross forks for contemporary bikes? Custom carbon options? My main reason for inquiring is to try and cast a wider net with my search, hoping that someone knows of a good builder or smaller company (like MCFK, Extralite, or Carbon-Ti) who might be making them, but not yet reaching a broader audience.

Thanks.

Dan Werle
Portland, Oregon
USA

amey

by amey

far east fork will cost you 100usd-ish is that ok for your moral compass?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romalor

by romalor

the TRP with a great price ( OEM version )
post mount
160 mm is the way to go at least for the front , 140 mm is useless for cyclocross even if you're light
I've both 140 f and r on my road disc bike here in Belgium
http://www.crossladen.de/Teile/Gabeln/Cyclocross/TRP-TaperedVollcarbon-Disc-only-Gabel/