Will gravel bikes go towards full suspension?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Can't help but wondering, how long untill we see the first full suspension gravel bike?
Now Lauf has released Grit fork and companies like Canyon made protypes of a blade like suspension for road bikes.
Roubaix road bikes like Pinarello K8S and Calfee Manta are available, not to mention Madone 9 use a decoupled seat post.
Would there even be a market for a smart full suspension gravel, what would the general users like to see?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Marin

by Marin

Even some race mountainbikes are going fully rigid again, so I think not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

@Marin I think Nino has something to say about that ;) but yeah I really hope gravel bikes don't go that route, the lauf forks is no good for my svelt 140lbs

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

i have been riding rigid MTB's for years. Does this mean I am ahead of my time, or a cheap skate that cant be arsed with suspension.

Gravel bikes dont need suspension. Gravel bikes do what I call XC riding.

Marin

by Marin

Gravel bikes are the SUVs of the road bike world - just like you can drive on most gravel road with a sports car, you can ride on them with a normal road bike :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

yes marin your right I do regularly but my rigid 29er is still quicker over gravel tracks. Gravel bikes are pointless. Just get a 29er they are way more capable and if you pick the right frame they are swift.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Being able to swap between a tire you could race in a crit to a relatively fat one you can run some single track is a pointless design? Bikes like the Exploro and U.P., as well as others I'm just not familiar with, can do just that. Also, I don't know of any 29'er anyone would even consider taking to a crit or fast group ride. Some Gravel bikes are just so good that they almost become the only bike you'll need....I know blasphemy.

Marin

by Marin

Stalkan wrote:Being able to swap between a tire you could race in a crit to a relatively fat one you can run some single track is a pointless design? Bikes like the Exploro and U.P., as well as others I'm just not familiar with, can do just that. Also, I don't know of any 29'er anyone would even consider taking to a crit or fast group ride. Some Gravel bikes are just so good that they almost become the only bike you'll need....I know blasphemy.

I made up my mind, I think gravel bikes will die out pretty soon. But I expect touring bikes to make a comeback.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Marin wrote:But I expect touring bikes to make a comeback.

:noidea:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Haha, i don't think gravel will die out
Many new components are coming, aimed at gravel.
I think it's a wide range bike that fits many needs, but likely not best at any specific.
Here in lay both the gain (wide usage) and minus.

I wondered mostly since there has been protypes of road bikes with suspension (both front and rear).
If we think of this suspension i talk of, it's not like mtb's.
It's much shorter travel and no serviceable parts.
More like blades, like in Looks pedals.

Personally i am expecting my Lauf to arrive in a few days.
This will ofcourse tell me if it's as good as i hope.
My scare is that it will make the bike slower. My hope is that it won't, but increase traction and offer even more comfort.

Penalty is still a weight increase.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I think the Lauf will make the bike more comfortable, but I also think you might just make it slower. Personally I would go with PSI changes over the Lauf as the UP is already "heavy" as it sits. Add to that the unknown of changes in the handling/precision, then I am very curious in getting your feedback once it is mounted and a few rides done.

No doubt at the same PSI the bike will be more comfortable and perhaps even more capable....maybe descending will be faster as well....I dunno. Let us know what you find.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Stalkan wrote:I think the Lauf will make the bike more comfortable, but I also think you might just make it slower. Personally I would go with PSI changes over the Lauf as the UP is already "heavy" as it sits. Add to that the unknown of changes in the handling/precision, then I am very curious in getting your feedback once it is mounted and a few rides done.

No doubt at the same PSI the bike will be more comfortable and perhaps even more capable....maybe descending will be faster as well....I dunno. Let us know what you find.

I have tried about 6 pair of different tires and also fiddled around with pressure.
Some ideas from Clement (Mike) which came up with higher PSI numbers than even i ride (i think i ride higher pressure than many here).
I just don't like when i use low PSI and the bike feels slow and congested/ heavy.
The comfort is ofcourse nice, but the drag of low pressure is killing me.
To me, it seems as tires start to hit 500 grams it really makes the bike slower (atleast for me).
The more heavy tires often damp and soften the ride, but speed goes down.

I gathered as much info and input as i could on Lauf Fork, also how it affects the geo of my UP (size Large).
All in all i realize i have now lots of information which i can interpret - in theory.
But i could not let go of the fact that my curiousity will not stop bothering me untill i have tested this fork myself.

What i do know is this. Lauf Grit will increase stack 14mm and reach will be -4mm compared to standard Luteus 2 fork.
It virtually rotate the geo 14mm (backwards).

I will try to come back with an objective ride impression.
For this purpose i will also keep riding same tires as i am using before i change fork.

Many questions around this, and finally yes you are right.
UP is not a light weight frame/ bike.
Question is where the sweet spot goes for durability on these frames/ bikes.

Looking inside my Vial EVO frame and the UP, the difference in wall thickness is about *3 on some places at UP.
Make of it what you want.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Tomstr

by Tomstr

That's a very interesting experiment with the forks. It's likely the bike will feel slower over rougher terrain but will be faster.

You probably already did this but I would recommend to make a training loop close to where you live that features all the types (and states :) ) of surface you like or at least the most important ones. Preferably without too much interference like walkers, barriers are no issue since braking and accelerating are big handling items too. Not a lot of wind is good too so you can start measuring laptimes against an effort in PRE, heartrate or power.

Doing it like this gives you a real idea of what is better instead of a feeling. I've made my lap a hidden Strava segment making it perfect for timing. If only I could add other people to the segment for measuring. :noidea:
Ride it like you stole it

MikeD

by MikeD

Marin wrote:
Stalkan wrote:Being able to swap between a tire you could race in a crit to a relatively fat one you can run some single track is a pointless design? Bikes like the Exploro and U.P., as well as others I'm just not familiar with, can do just that. Also, I don't know of any 29'er anyone would even consider taking to a crit or fast group ride. Some Gravel bikes are just so good that they almost become the only bike you'll need....I know blasphemy.

I made up my mind, I think gravel bikes will die out pretty soon. But I expect touring bikes to make a comeback.

I use my touring bike as a gravel bike. Very capable. Fits wide tires and has low gears too. A bit heavy though because the frame is steel. Purchased long before the term "gravel bike" came about. It hung in my garage unused for a long time because I was not into loaded touring. Now it's used often on rides where there are dirt and poorly paved roads. It does handle like a truck compared to my Ritchey Logic road bike though.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

When you've ridden Grit sometime, you adapt to it really well.
Fatigue is drastically lowered and again, i feel traction is bettered.

I would seriously recommend it to anyone who wants more comfort and fun :lol:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com