CX1 Long cage + XX1 cassette issues

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

thehiredgun

by thehiredgun

Per SRAM, the long cage CX1/Force1 RD works with the 10-42t cassette but can't for the life of me get the thing to shift into the big cog reliably...

Anyone have experience with this setup? Any tips/tricks to make this work a little better?

Been thinking about buying a pulley cage for one of the MTB RDs for a swap to make this it work...

KBN

Marin

by Marin

Works fine for me:

No issues to shift into any gear. Did you play with the B-Tension already?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Start simple and work your way up. Have you checked the limit screws on the RD to make sure they're let out far enough to shift into the 42t? Is your chain long enough? Is the B-tension screw properly let out? Can you post a photo of your current setup so we can take a look at it and see what's going on?

thehiredgun

by thehiredgun

I did a bit but didn't get to wild with it. Had the shop wrench on it too and couldn't quite getting working well enough so they put the 11-36t on it. I'll try to play with it soe tonight and get some pics up.

Thanks for y'alls help!

KBN

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

B screw should be adjusted so there is at least 12mm of space between 42 cog and upper pulley. Sram specs 15. If you have it adjusted to 6mm or so like a normal sram RD, you will have a heck of a time getting into the 42.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

thehiredgun

by thehiredgun

Good info. Still haven't gotten a chance to work on it but will let you know how it pans out.

gtinut

by gtinut

check length of the chain. One day switched to smaller ring on CX1 crank and found shifting to be off. I played with B screw but never got it to shift correctly until cutting down chain to correct length.

Marin

by Marin

I'm suspecting that I could shorten my chain a bit - is there a definitive guide for Sram 1x11 chain length for rigid frames?

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

I heard +2 links for hard tail.

I would probably start off with +4 links.

grover

by grover

Official method from SRAM is to wrap chain around chainring and biggest cassette cog, then add 2 inner links and 2 outer links.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0284/ ... a.png?1250

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3701/9350 ... a990f2.jpg

Marin

by Marin

I read up on that and it says I can then still go to a +2 larger chainring which I never will (only smaller maybe) so I guess I'll just take out 2 pins.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com