Di2 or CX1?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sub7kg

by sub7kg

Any suggestions on a narrow wide chainset to go with a Di2 build (not Sram).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

sub7kg wrote:Any suggestions on a narrow wide chainset to go with a Di2 build (not Sram).

Easton

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If you already have a crank, Wolftooth makes some nice stuff. There's also AbsoluteBlack. If you are looking for a crank, the Easton crank looks awesome, but I have no hands-on experience with it (and it may not be compatible with your frame - which is my problem).

morganb

by morganb

FIJIGabe wrote:If you already have a crank, Wolftooth makes some nice stuff. There's also AbsoluteBlack. If you are looking for a crank, the Easton crank looks awesome, but I have no hands-on experience with it (and it may not be compatible with your frame - which is my problem).

It should work with any frame except Trek, unless someone else is doing BB90. CINCH cranks are effectively BB386 cranks which work on threaded and BB86 bikes in addition to native 30mm spindle BBs.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Deem, why I read this thread :)
I was convinced, I´m going to build my CX frame with Sram 1x. Now I´m thinking Shimano Di2.
Sram would be 400€ cheaper.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mattyNor

by mattyNor

FIJIGabe wrote:If you already have a crank, Wolftooth makes some nice stuff. There's also AbsoluteBlack. If you are looking for a crank, the Easton crank looks awesome, but I have no hands-on experience with it (and it may not be compatible with your frame - which is my problem).
I have the Easton crank, I can't speak highly enough about it and the Easton chainring but the BB is trash. It crapped out on me in less than 2000km.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Bhaalgorn

by Bhaalgorn

I have a few thousand miles on both platforms. I switched from CX1 to Di2 (XTR derailleur with R/785 levers and RS785 calipers).

I have to say, I miss my CX1 groupset. For one, and most importantly, CX1 is lighter (this is the Weight Weenie forum, right? Also, see my earlier comparison here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146312).

I also really like the modulation of the SRAM Force HyrdoR disc brakes, moreso than Shimano. The pad engagement on the Force calipers is perfect. The Shimano levers pull almost entirely to the bar, even with max reach adjustment, which I really dislike. And lastly, I love the very tactile response of the SRAM Force shift paddles. With the Di2 levers, it's hard to tell if you've shifted.
Last edited by Bhaalgorn on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bhaalgorn

by Bhaalgorn

Check out Garbaruk as well.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

sub7kg wrote:Any suggestions on a narrow wide chainset to go with a Di2 build (not Sram).

Wolf tooth has even a 36T Easton cinch. Easton offers 38T as smallest.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... ston-cinch

I have the 36T on order.

A bit off topic, but anyway...
You can also (if you ever go 2*11) buy a 110 BCD spider from Kent Eriksen Cycles.
Then you get 46-47mm chainline. I have this spider with Wickwerks CX chainrings (44/34).

I also use Sram PG-1170, 11-36 cassette with my 6870 RD.
I would buy the XT Di2 RD if i could use it with 6870 FD.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

XT RD will give better chain retention?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Bhaalgorn wrote:I have a few thousand miles on both platforms. I switched from CX1 to Di2 (XTR derailleur with R/785 levers and RS785 calipers).

I have to say, I miss my CX1 groupset. For one, and most importantly, CX1 is lighter (this is the Weight Weenie forum, right? Also, see my earlier comparison here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146312).

I also really like the modulation of the SRAM Force HyrdoR disc brakes, moreso than Shimano. The pad engagement on the Force calipers is perfect. The Shimano levers pull almost entirely to the bar, even with max reach adjustment, which I really dislike. And lastly, I love the very tactile response of the SRAM Force shift paddles. With the Di2 levers, it's hard to tell if you've shifted.

Make sure you bleed the brakes when all adjustments are “open” otherwise free stroke adjustment is not functional IME.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Bhaalgorn

by Bhaalgorn

TurboKoo wrote:
Bhaalgorn wrote:I have a few thousand miles on both platforms. I switched from CX1 to Di2 (XTR derailleur with R/785 levers and RS785 calipers).

Make sure you bleed the brakes when all adjustments are “open” otherwise free stroke adjustment is not functional IME.

Yeah, that's my first step when doing a bleed/install. I just prefer the feel of the HydroRs.

md255

by md255

Running CX1 on my A and B race rigs for cross over the past 4 seasons with several thousand miles on each. Absolutely love everything about it, especially the reliability on race day. Averaging about 15-20 races a season including some big ones like Gloucester, NoHo, NBX and CXNats. Nothing sucks more than driving six hours to a race and then DNF'ing because of a mechanical. With CX1, knock on wood, that has yet to be a problem.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

My 14 year old son who is impossibly hard on equipment ran CX1 Force all CX season despite my recommendation for Di2. He loved it and is s SRAMY for life now but for me it was not reliable and finicky.

The clutch RD, lack of chain drops and brakes were phenomenal. The brake lever- not so much. Sticky piston problems abound.

He had the left hydro lever replaced by SRAM once for free and serviced once more (paid for by SRAM as well again) a few weeks later for same sticky piston problem in a different new lever. My son still swears by SRAM and their taking care of customers but IME you dont need it with Shimano.

I think ideal would be: clutch XTR Di2 rear, easton crank, Kogel BB with CX seals, SRAM cassette, SRAM calipers and Di2 shifters with sprint and climber shifters all over the bars.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim