1x11 DI2 Left shifter not recognised by E-tube

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

shoppa

by shoppa

I have a 2016 Giant TCX Advanced Pro1 with a 1x11 DI2 setup. Very nice bike.

I only just a few days ago downloaded the E-tube software as I wanted to change the shifter operation. I intended to use both left shifter buttons to down shift and the right to up shift. Similar to SRAM E-tap operation, however, my left shifter doesn't show in the installed components in the E-tube program.

My components are:
Battery - SM-BTR2
Junction box - SM-EW90-A (3 port)
Shifters - ST-R785
Rear Derailleur - RD6870-SS

Is it possible to make the change in shifting? Why can't I see my left shifter in E-tube?

I should also mention all the components had the firmware updated for each, perhaps this was a mistake. Previously I could do a battery check with my left shifter and now I can't.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by shoppa on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

motorapido

by motorapido

It is possible to set up shifting as you want it,

If its not seeing your left shifter, the first thing to do is check the shifter plug and connections,

it doesn't take much to have a bad connection, if there is no slack in the cable under the bar tape and the shifter moves it can pull the plug.

then use E-tube to carry out a connection check and fault check.

if it still can't see the shifter, you can plug the E-tube directly into the spare port on the shifter and error check the shifter directly for any fault.

you should then be able to access the customise menu and setup the switch assignment as you want it and speed of shift, multi-shift options etc

one last thought ( bit of a long shot) but,was it bought as a 1x 11 set-up and what shift levers does it use. Some LH shifters don't have any Di2 electronics in the, such as the Alfine drop bar shifter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Did you check your cabling? Any dirt in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoppa

by shoppa

Thanks

Turns out a loose connection at the shifter.

All good now, left shifter down shift, right shifter up shift. Perfect

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Great!

What crank and chainring do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I also changed shifting buttons up/down on my RD. But it was not as good as i thought, so i switched back.
I also had quite an unluck, my battery is damaged. Now Etube says it neither see master unit or battery.
Currently waiting for a new battery.
What puzzles me is that Etube complains of master unit, which should be the charger.
Hope this to isn't damaged.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

Is it showing a connection error, or displaying a fault when checking faults of each item individually, if you run the SM-PCE1 you can fault find, but i'm not sure this available via the 3 or 5 port junction 'A',

It would be worth unplugging and re-plugging all you connections, then check again.

When you connect to the master unit are any parts of the system visible on E-tube, shifters mech's etc.