CX and gravel tire

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Looking for a gravel tire (and bonus if it can CX). I was thinking of the Clement LAS as a tire that can be fast on gravel for races. I was wondering if a tire like the Schwalbe G-One might be faster/smoother ? The LAS has the bonus of being a good cross tire as well. Any other file thread to look at ? Right now I have a a PDX/MXP combo for CX, MSO 40mm for trails. Looking for something faster. Compass look like they offer a good choice but $$

thprice

by thprice

I have been using Continental Cyclocross Speed for the past two years.
Good all-round tyre for mixed terrain (road, gravel, dirt, etc) :thumbup:
Would use a different tread pattern if the ride was a mud pit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Thanks for the suggestion. I knew about this model but forgot about it !

I'm a fan of how the PDX hook up to grass and ground on the corners. I might be wrong to think that, but since the LAS have the same side thread, I imagine they would hook up nicely. I have yet to test, the transition from flat to knobs might be unpredictable ?!

Continental Speed : 35mm / 350gr. definitly looks like a fast thread, might be missing a tad of grip for a fast CX race ?!
Schwalbe G-One : 35mm / 400gr. Tubeless is a plus, looks like a fast tire for road/gravel. Not CXable.
Clement LAS : 35mm / 350gr. I've enjoyed all my Clement tires. Good thread for faster CX, will they slow down on gravel ?
Compass Bon Jon : 35mm / 300-350gr... Looks really fast and smooth but they cost double the price of the others.

velomane

by velomane

wheelzqc wrote:Schwalbe G-One : 35mm / 400gr. Tubeless is a plus, looks like a fast tire for road/gravel. Not CXable.

What is it about the G-One that precludes it from being a CX tire?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Just not sure about using it in a tough off camber turn or to really push the bike in a curve.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Not likely to be UCI CX legal at "35mm" wide, if that's a factor.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

CarlosFerreiro wrote:Not likely to be UCI CX legal at "35mm" wide, if that's a factor.

For sure ! Even my 33mm CX tires are probably border to wide ...

Miller

by Miller

G-One is a lovely tyre with great qualities but getting grip in muddy conditions is not one of those qualities. It likes being able to grip a hard surface.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Thanks for the feedback on the G-One. Might be the ticket. Just trying to figure out if I should go with the LAS instead. I imagine the G-One being the fastest/smoothest on the road/gravel.

LionelB

by LionelB

wheelzqc wrote:Thanks for the feedback on the G-One. Might be the ticket. Just trying to figure out if I should go with the LAS instead. I imagine the G-One being the fastest/smoothest on the road/gravel.

I think the Compass would be faster there.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

LionelB wrote:
wheelzqc wrote:Thanks for the feedback on the G-One. Might be the ticket. Just trying to figure out if I should go with the LAS instead. I imagine the G-One being the fastest/smoothest on the road/gravel.

I think the Compass would be faster there.

I know :(.. and faster to empty the wallet. Decisions. I'm registered for Rasputitsa and might do other races/rides like that.

Marin

by Marin

For typical gravel you want a slick tire or a very fine file tread.

For CX, you want knobbies unless it's completely dry and there's zero grass.

So, 2 different tires.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Yeah I guess the focus is more for gravel racing. The CX racing is just bonus, I already have a set of tires for that.

How about the Panaracer GravelKing SK in 32c ? Too knobby ? It does look supple and light (320gr and tubeless!). I believe Panaracer makes the tires for Compass.

velomane

by velomane

What about widths? What's the narrowest tire one should use on gravel?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

For what I'm looking to do 32 would be the smallest... I already have 28s and usually when you can run 28s you can run 25s, I found..and then it's road bike material. I'm looking for races/rides where I need a CX bike with larger tires. I'm not sure if tread is needed. It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com