Replacement TA for 3T's Luteus II

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Anyone know if something like the Maxle Stealth would work in a 3t Luteus II? I spoke with Andy today and he doesn't think there is another compatible TA for the Lutues, but I am hoping a WW has tried it and can provide some insight.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/maxle-stealth#specs

https://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike-components/forks/luteus-ii-team-stealth/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Doesn't the 3T fork have a 15 x 1.0mm thread pitch? If that is the case then does not look like the SRAM maxle will fit seeing as it has a 15 x 1.5mm thread pitch.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I am not sure on the TP as mine is currently "stuck" and while I am sure I can remove it I do not want to do so until I have a replacement on hand. Once 3T gets me one I plan to check the pitch and length to see if the Maxle (or something similar) will work.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Extralite's Black Lock 15.5 front thru-axle has M15 x 1.0mm threads.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I thought I would update the thread with my findings. It does seem like the Maxle should work. I was able to remove mine and my measurements do indicate that a standard 125mm overall length axle will work with the 3T nut. Also thread pitch is 1.5. So, if anyone wants to do away with the heavy 3T skewer they have options. I will be ordering the Maxle Stealth next week and once I have confirmed it will work I will post back.

ms6073

by ms6073

Be sure and check your thread pitch before you order a replacement TA. I have a KTM Revelator Sky disc road frame and thought it was 1.0 thread pitch when it turned out to be 1.5mm thread pitch.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Yeah, I already checked it and it is 1.5; however, SuperDave (who now works at 3T) is pretty adamant that there is no other axle that works due to overall length. I think it could work, but not sure I am going to go forward after his strong stance on it. If I do I will make sure and update the thread.

Bonesbrigade

by Bonesbrigade

Stalkan wrote:Yeah, I already checked it and it is 1.5; however, SuperDave (who now works at 3T) is pretty adamant that there is no other axle that works due to overall length. I think it could work, but not sure I am going to go forward after his strong stance on it. If I do I will make sure and update the thread.

Were you able to figure out if there is a good replacement? I just got this fork and that thing is a pig (and ugly)!

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't give anything a try as 3T stood behind the product and shipped me out a new TA. But it is very ugly and heavy. Oh well.

Zitter

by Zitter

this works with some modifications, however it's out of stock at the moment

http://www.shift-up.eu/en/front-axles/4 ... olor-black

Bonesbrigade

by Bonesbrigade

Zitter wrote:this works with some modifications, however it's out of stock at the moment

http://www.shift-up.eu/en/front-axles/4 ... olor-black

What kind of mods?

Bonesbrigade

by Bonesbrigade

Stalkan wrote:Sorry for the late reply. I didn't give anything a try as 3T stood behind the product and shipped me out a new TA. But it is very ugly and heavy. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up emailing Open (they use the 3T fork on their U.P.) and they said the TA that Zitter linked works - from shif-up. It's out of stock, but I'm going to order it when it's back in stock. I'll update the thread when I get it.

Zitter

by Zitter

the round end nut may not fit in the hexagonal hole so you might need to file it a bit

Bonesbrigade

by Bonesbrigade

[quote="Zitter"]the round end nut may not fit in the hexagonal hole so you might need to file it a bit[/quote

Ok cool. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Zitter wrote:the round end nut may not fit in the hexagonal hole so you might need to file it a bit

:mrgreen:
- Michael