Alternatives to Open UP?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Yes, Loctite 641 is less adhesive than the more permanent 609.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've been collecting some feedback on the Open U.P., here's an example of an otherwise undisclosed issue:

"I know a couple of guys that have an Open UP. They are great bikes, but they do have have a few issues. Theirs had scrapes down to the raw carbon from the rear rotor rubbing the frame, and from the biggest chain ring rubbing the frame. They were running stock sized components as far as I know."

FWIW, this poster did not state the exact component sizes involved, so I don't know if the rotor was a 160 or if someone tried to put a 180 back there. Also the exact chainring size was not known. But interesting anecdote just the same.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have stock Shimano 160mm Rotors and i have used 50/34, 50/36 and 46/34 chainrings.
If you pull off rear wheel and put it back, you can miss the correct angle and then you may push the rotor into the frame, hence paint damage.

When you use chainrings, you may need a spacer or not (between BB and driveside). Or if the chain climbs off the small/big chainring it may scrape the frame.
My chain jumped off (at 3-4 o'clock) and got stuck between the small chainring and frame, hence rubbing paint.

But otherwise i have no clearance issues. But sure, it is tight, but not to a degree it would rub just because you cycle (and i include stomping hard).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

At this point in my research, both Open Cycle (for the U.P.) and 3T (for the Exploro) have confirmed that the minimum inner chainring (or 1x single ring) is at least a 30t. This due to the chain contacting the bottom of the dropped chainstay with a smaller chainring, even with a long cage derailleur.

So because my needs are for a steep mountain setup (24t inner ring), I'm ruling out these models. Even though I do like the geometry that these frames offer.

I can find a similar geometry in other brands, such as the Diamondback Haanjo carbon, which takes up to 700x47c or 650x2.1.
But as yet no definitive alternative to the Open, in terms of its overall designed performance. :?

Update 9/17: Diamondback writes back to say that a medium haanjo frame is 1025g & the fork 397g.

amey

by amey

Mine is done :)

8.23kg all in, rides amazingly well. 35mm Kojak (which come mere 32.3mm on 21mm internal Velocity Aileron rims) are a bit 'skinny' in that frame. Will need to get something fatter soon.

Build details here: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/carbonda-gravel-bike-1x11-di2-30292#photo239239

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

That's really, really nice Amey! How did you decorate the fork? And are those 140mm discs? The only (minor) thing is the bottle cages, I think black (carbon or resin) instead of stainless steel might have looked better.

amey

by amey

DutchMountains wrote:That's really, really nice Amey! How did you decorate the fork? And are those 140mm discs? The only (minor) thing is the bottle cages, I think black (carbon or resin) instead of stainless steel might have looked better.

Thanks!

Just an x acto knife and some 3M reflective sheet ;) I was bored.

I agree aesthetically a carbon or a black plastic cage would've worked but I am a stainless cage convert, most of my bikes have King Cage but this is Blackburn Chicane which feels actually nicer, easier to get bottles in and out and they dont get marked.

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

amey wrote:Image

Lovely looking bike. Did you have any issues with the build, how does it ride?

romalor

by romalor

New coming , https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2017-New-Design-BB86-T700-Carbon_60523477919.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.l713dM
Want/need a third bike : I've a race road disc bike and a cyclocross disc bike

Want a road disc bike with clearance for a little more than 28 mm measured on the rim tires , 30 or 32 mm should be fine ,
so 28 30 mm when not on the rims
Need a race geometry, so either this gravel OR an other aero disc brake with 28 mm tires

They seem to have copied a lot from the OPEN UP , a little from his brother 3T exploro and a bit of gamble

Same geometry than the open U.P , except aero seat post like the 3T
And length of the seat tube is 56 cm so nearly horizontal TT
Bottom bracket is bb86 which is a little bit more resistant than pf30 for me

The head tube could be 1 or 2 cm longer for me
I would use a spacer of 2 cm under the stem

romalor

by romalor

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Aside from being a "backdoor" Open (changing few features so as to avoid lawsuits), negatives to me included the very proprietary seatpost profile and its clamp design, the latter being an internal steel wedge that has been known to not work too well on other models. Tighten it enough to grab and you can damage a carbon post, but it looks like they used an alloy post to get around this?
And as with many generic designs, the weight is never what they claim. Would like to hear your actual weight.

But yes, the geometry is pretty much identical to the U.P.

romalor

by romalor

You get what you paid for ... :)

Yes but the 3T explore, the 3T version of the open ( vroomen is at the head of both companies )
has also a proprietary seat post ...
Don't see where you see an alloy post, this is just a computer drawn

I also expect it unfortunately to be at least 100 gr heavier on the frame , and 50 maybe 75 gr heavier on the fork ...

I also prefer a classic carbon round 27,2 or even 25,4 seat post ,
light , cheap , strong , flexy

But again it is cheap

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I decided to compromise, and today ordered a Storck Multiroad carbon frame, for these reasons:
1. 1/3 the cost of the U.P.
2. No dropped chainstay so I can use my 38/24 double
3. Regular 31.6 round post w/ no proprietary clamp.
4. Weight is right in there with the U.P./Trail Donkey/Haanjo
5. Angles like the U.P.
6. Tires up to a 700x47 or 27.5x2.2
7. Rack & fender mounts
8. Every Storck I've owned has been phenomenal

Only negative is the straight 1.125" headtube, so it can't fit a Grit. Oh well.

PARTIZAN

by PARTIZAN

Check out the mason bokeh

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

illskittlz

by illskittlz

amey wrote:Mine is done :)

8.23kg all in, rides amazingly well. 35mm Kojak (which come mere 32.3mm on 21mm internal Velocity Aileron rims) are a bit 'skinny' in that frame. Will need to get something fatter soon.

Build details here: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/carbonda-gravel-bike-1x11-di2-30292#photo239239

May I ask what was your total cost for this build? Id like to do this build. Di2 would be nice, but might be beyond my budget.

Have you tried wider tires yet? And 650b tires yet?