Alternatives to Open UP?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

drider85

by drider85

Ordered up a e bay Open U.P. knock off. We will see what is it like in a short 6 to 8 weeks. :/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Point

by Point

Could anyone recommend an Alu/Steel alternative to an Open U.P ?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

TedStriker

by TedStriker

drider85 wrote:Ordered up a e bay Open U.P. knock off. We will see what is it like in a short 6 to 8 weeks. :/

Do you have a link to the ad?

drider85

by drider85

It is under the seller anglecycle on eBay and is also on workswell page as a WCB-R-125

Bombtrack bikes makes one in Steel. The Hook EXT

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Point wrote:Could anyone recommend an Alu/Steel alternative to an Open U.P ?

I'm sure there are numerous others, but off the top of my head: Niners RLT and Van Dessel's ADD for Aluminum. As for steel Niner has the RLT in steel and Van Dessel's WTF is another option.

illskittlz

by illskittlz

drider85 wrote:Ordered up a e bay Open U.P. knock off. We will see what is it like in a short 6 to 8 weeks. :/

I'm very curious to learn more about this when you receive the frame and build it up. please keep us updated.

lwk

by lwk

Speedercycling also makes same frame as Open Up

http://www.speedercycling.com/Carbon-Gr ... _p232.html

illskittlz

by illskittlz

lwk wrote:Speedercycling also makes same frame as Open Up

http://www.speedercycling.com/Carbon-Gr ... _p232.html

It looks like the same exact frame that workswell is selling

illskittlz

by illskittlz

what was the price of the frame?

drider85

by drider85

Would the Niner RLT fit all the way out to a 27.5x2.1?

The Lynskey GR250 would fit the bill.

wildbill14

by wildbill14

Illsskittlz, very interested to see what you think of the ebay knock off.

I have a friend who put 27.5x2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic in the front fork of a Giant TCX Advanced Disc and he said the rear barely rubbed and would have plenty of clearance for a 27.5x2.1.

Amey, How is the Carbona frame working for you? It looks beautiful and it looks like it would be a pretty smooth ride with the thin seat stays and the 27.5 seatpost. I really like the geo of the two chinese frames because they have short 420mm chainstays. Most gravel or cross bikes are 425mm or 430mm. I am looking for a bike that can double as a cross/gravel and my road bike, and these bikes have the closest geo to a road bike with the shorter stays than anything I can afford.

I currently have a Giant TCX SLR but absolutely hate the 430mm chainstays. Make the bike feel like a pig on the road and doesnt feel very good in tight cx corners.

illskittlz

by illskittlz

wildbill14 wrote:Illsskittlz, very interested to see what you think of the ebay knock off.

I have a friend who put 27.5x2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic in the front fork of a Giant TCX Advanced Disc and he said the rear barely rubbed and would have plenty of clearance for a 27.5x2.1.

Amey, How is the Carbona frame working for you? It looks beautiful and it looks like it would be a pretty smooth ride with the thin seat stays and the 27.5 seatpost. I really like the geo of the two chinese frames because they have short 420mm chainstays. Most gravel or cross bikes are 425mm or 430mm. I am looking for a bike that can double as a cross/gravel and my road bike, and these bikes have the closest geo to a road bike with the shorter stays than anything I can afford.

I currently have a Giant TCX SLR but absolutely hate the 430mm chainstays. Make the bike feel like a pig on the road and doesnt feel very good in tight cx corners.

I'm not the one who ordered the ebay knockoff. I ordered myself a carbonda.

StevieSeagal

by StevieSeagal

@amey, @illskittlz. I saw the build of amey' carbonda bike and am really intrested in the frame myself. I'd like to use it in the winter for Cross races and in the Summer as a commuter/gravel bike. As it is important for shouldering the bike, how is the shape of the toptube? For Cross it would be ideal if it is flat at the bottom side.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Stalkan

by Stalkan

drider85 wrote:Would the Niner RLT fit all the way out to a 27.5x2.1?

The Lynskey GR250 would fit the bill.

Not sure. I never tired it while I owned one, but it is spec'd to fit a 700x45. I know the fork is huge and wouldn't be the issue on fitting a larger tire, but you might run into issues on the rear. That being said, don't think the UP easy swallows a 2.1" on the rear either. I am close enough on the DS chain stay that I have had some rub marks (I think when some mud loaded up on the tire).

If/when I get a chance i'll toss in my wheels on my teammates RLT and see how it looks.

Edit to show the clearance on my UP's 2.1" Thunder Burt

Last edited by Stalkan on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne