Alternatives to Open UP?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Sure I like Open's Unbeaten Path frame, but looked around and don't really see any similar (gravel/cross style) frames that can take up to a 27.5 x 2.1 /2.2 tire like the U.P.

Anyone know of the UP's cheaper competitors?

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Cheaper? Niner RLT is cheaper and should be able to run what you want. The 3T Exploro is the UP's cousin, but isn't less money. Then there is Van Dessel's ADD and WTF. Also, isn't there a new player? Why Cycles....

All that being said I got my UP on serious discount from RACycles on a 4th of July sale, maybe you could look out for something similar?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

All good suggestions, but I should add that I'm partial to carbon frames for this job (very chattery dirt roads).
Am I asking too much from the industry? :lol:
Last edited by UpFromOne on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionelB

by LionelB

Have a look at the new Focus Paralane

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The Paralane is totally drool-worthy, but only accepts up to 35mm tires.
It seems the dropped right chainstay of the U.P. and Exploro are the ticket to bigger tires.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

The Diamondback Haanjo Carbon is not drool-worthy but is definitely cheaper than the Open and 3T and can accept 27.5 x 2.1 tires. The Haanjo Exp Carbon even comes with that wheel / tire combo.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Thanks Andre, that DB carbon series looks OK, but I researched comments and there's some weird geometry going on.
Plus no real info on the BB spec, which will determine crank Q.
So far I keep returning to the U.P.

LionelB

by LionelB

A big turn off for me on the up is the slack STA designed around a straight post. Weird for a bike that needs good tire clearance. I recently checked one out at a store and the rear tire was very close to the seat tube. I also hate the look of straight posts.

amey

by amey

IF you are open to far east options this is quite nice: http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/cfr505.html

I've just got one, it will be delivered this week. The factory also sent me a pic with 47c 650b WTB Horizon tyres and mudguards.

amey

by amey

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

Found this the other day: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232057080733

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

amey wrote:IF you are open to far east options this is quite nice: http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/cfr505.html

I've just got one, it will be delivered this week. The factory also sent me a pic with 47c 650b WTB Horizon tyres and mudguards.

47mm is only a 1.85" section tire, looking for up to 2.2 like the U.P.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Ltyarbro42 wrote:Found this the other day: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232057080733

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Great, another cheap knock-off product. While that's quite the find, I don't support that kind of commerce.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

UpFromOne wrote:47mm is only a 1.85" section tire, looking for up to 2.2 like the U.P.

I know it is tire and wheel dependent but my up is perilously close on the DS chain stay with 2.1 Schwalbe Thunder Burts on there. I had some rub marks on the chain stay that someone suggested might have been mud build up on the tire and that is likely the case.....any how, point is I don't think I would run anything wider than 2.1" even though I have seen some builds with 2.25".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

amey wrote:IF you are open to far east options this is quite nice: http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/cfr505.html

Shame I just got a Bish Bash Bosh frameset as this looks even nicer. I'd love to hear more about it when you get it: weight, cost, how much clearance there is between chain stays etc etc.

Btw, the medium sized Bish Bash Bosh frame weighs 1160 gram, with the (uncut) fork being 500 gram. Definitely not worth the 999 UKP list price (it's not very refined and finishing only so-so) but at 377 UKP it should make a nice winter / fast touring bike. It comes with 12mm/15mm through axles included (heavy at 174 gram combined) and nothing else; you'll need to buy the headset, steerer bung and rear mudguard (fender) mount separately.